In September, ServiceNow Community hosted 4 Ask the Expert Sessions. Here are the summaries with Q&A highlights of each session. These sessions are available on-demand to watch at your convenience. And, if you still have questions regarding the topic, you can still post them in the discussion thread to get answers directly from the experts!
Summary: As the "Discover your world" series continues, this session will help you familiarize yourself with Discovery & MID server. Experts continue to dive into details on credentials, CMDB and MID servers.
- How to review CI history
- How to configure your MID servers
- MID server Powershell properties
- Enable Powershell to get the best of all worlds
- Default Windows users
Sharon Hobart asks:
(1) Does the affinty table ever need to be flushed? If so, under what circumstances?
Amit Dhuleshia answers:
Thanks for the question, but we do not flush the affinity table, we only update or insert into the affinity table. If for example, we have an affinity with a specific credential and for some reason it stops working, we try other credentials and if some other credential works, then we update the affinity to that credential. So for a given, mid server, credential type, and ip, there could be only 1 affinity.
Ankush Latawa asks
(2) How do we go about troubleshooting when ESX are successfully discovered by ESXi are not?
Aleck Lin answers:
The best way to discovery ESX and ESXi is through the vCenter Discovery. The difference is that ESX has SSH enabled by default and we did have SSH probes that will discover it at one point. However, as VMware evolved over time, we had made the decision to follow what vCenter can provide as opposed to doing our own discovery with SSH. Are you running into issues because you're relying on SSH?
Expert: Russ Sarbora
Summary: Expert addressed Troubleshooting Workflows in Service Catalog, discussing:
- Internal details on how the workflow engine interacts with Service Catalog
- How requests, approvals, and tasks affect workflows
- How to track down and fix problems with workflows that are fulfilling Service Catalog requests.
Expert: Samantha Reed
Summary: Join our guest, IT expert Samantha Reed from REI, Inc. and ServiceNow moderator Alison Quattrocchi to learn how customers, including REI, Inc., are using ServiceNow to consolidate, automate and consumerize critical business processes and to deliver and manage modern, effective services across their enterprises. Topics covered:
- How customers are building business services such as HR and facilities management
- The imperatives driving enterprises to consolidate, automate and consumerize critical business processes
- The evolution of IT's role from reactive infrastructure administrator to proactive driver of enterprise services
- How a single system of record can enable and expand delivery and management of modern, effective services across the enterprise
Doris Schwartzblat asks:
Is SharePoint used in any capacity within your organization? Any value-add tips for integrating the two? Thanks!
Samantha Reed answers:
We do use SharePoint pretty heavily here and have had some success in integrating reports and dashboards from ServiceNow into SharePoint sites. Many lists and reports can be embedded with only a minute or two of work. You just grab the encoded URL out of ServiceNow and drop it into a web part. We also had some interesting discussions at Knowledge14 about using SharePoint and ServiceNow in conjunction to create a master enterprise scheduling calendar. We haven't started working on it yet but its an idea we may pursue early in 2015.
Summary: Learn how to transform project portfolio management for your company with a flexible platform for the entire project lifecycle from request, execution, and deployment to ongoing operations. Topics covered:
- See a live demonstration across the entire service lifecycle from request to ongoing operations
- Find out how to extract value from other ServiceNow applications with our single system of record approach
- Hear from our product leadership team as we discuss our vision as well as some future innovations