The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

find_real_file.png

Motivation

When I started my ServiceNow journey, I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of information about that ecosystem, and therefore I had no idea where to start. It took several months to crawl through all the websites, online courses, videos and articles concerning ServiceNow, but I cannot expect every new onboarded team member to spend as much time on it as I did. And so I started to sort and write down all the sources I had found. As a result, a document was born I named "Knowledge Sources to Go", because you could download it from that Community page and take it home. Over the time, the document was growing rapidly, and an office document is a very dissatisfying medium as it doesn't allow embedding multimedia content. Furthermore, I wasn't able to get deep links out of such a document, but for answering Community questions this would be really helpful. Therefore, I decided to transfer all contents to individual Community pages and use that page just as a landing page and as a collection of links to the further contents.

Hints 

Since it is impossible to list all existing sources, it was necessary to undergo a selection process for all findings. The most important criterion was the free and unrestricted availability via a permanent internet URL. Nevertheless, it may happen that you need a (free) ServiceNow account for certain content, but basically this is a precondition if you want to get closer to ServiceNow. The second selection criterion was topicality. It makes no sense referencing content that is outdated by now. And finally, the selection is always somewhat subjective, which is quite normal in my opinion. After playing around for a while, I decided to align the content pages largely to the ServiceNow product portfolio. I hope that this way the reader will quickly find his orientation and get to the information he is looking for.

Legend:

• The lock icon 🔒 indicates that the related content requires a customer a or partner account.
  • A lab tube icon 🧪 right beside entries leading to the Now Learning portal indicates that the corresponding course offers a pre-configured and personalized ServiceNow instance. 
  • Now Learning courses marked with an 💲 icon are not free and have to be paid.
  • Entries ending in (K22) or (K23) represent Knowledge Sessions from the corresponding year. For the current year, the sessions are available on the Now Learning portal as a lab, including a lab instance.

Contents

In the following table of contents, a 🌟 icon indicates pages which have been added recently

Foundation

New to ServiceNow & no idea where to go?

Start your journey with ServiceNow

rocket.png

Platform Capabilities

Platform Administration

Customer Experience

Technology Excellence

Employee Experience

Employee Service Management

Operating excellence

Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC)

Industries

Telecommunications

• Telecommunications Service Management
  • Order Management for Telecommunications
  • Telecommunications Network Performance Management
Comments
Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

The November update is now available! Besides many new entries the following changes have been implemented in the document:

• Where already available I have changed the Orlando versions of NowLearning courses to the new Paris versions.
  • There is a separate chapter on the Process Automation Designer (PAD) introduced in the Paris release.

The test tube icon 🧪 on some NowLearning courses indicates that a customised and pre-configured ServiceNow instance is provided to the user for 2 weeks as part of the course.

Please note:
As soon as you click on "Enroll" in the NowLearning portal, the lifetime of the instance will start irrevocably. Therefore, if you only want to reserve the course for later, you better click on "Add to plan" at the bottom of the page!

Ravi Katiyar
Kilo Expert

Hi @Maik Skoddow ,

Thanks a lot for sharing this information with the community and Big thanks for your hard efforts in compiling this masterpiece.

Regards,
Ravi Katiyar

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi Ravi,

I am glad to hear that this document can help you!

Regards
Maik Skoddow

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

The December edition is out and has the following extensions:

• On the title page, I replaced the familiar product portfolio donut with a different presentation, which is more up-to-date in terms of content, but I don't like it as much. If you have seen an updated version of the product portfolio donut, please let me know.

• I have very recently realized that the NowLearning portal offers several courses that are not available to private users. These courses are dedicated to the role of a PreSales or a Sales and are therefore only available for users with a partner login. For easier identification these restricted courses are now marked with a lock icon (🔒).
Pranav Bhagat
Administrator
Administrator

Awesome 

Thanks @Maik Skoddow for sharing 🙂

KKrabbenhoft
Tera Guru

This is very helpful. Thank you for your efforts. I too am overwhelmed by the vast amount of ServiceNow knowledge. I am looking forward to reviewing and using your document. 

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Happy new year and have fun with a new edition of my "Knowledge Sources to go"!

In the article above I have included a table of contents and marked all chapters there with "new" if they have been added in the most recent edition. This makes it easier for you to find out which completely new topics have been added.

Completely new is, among other things, a chapter with the ServiceNow releases - starting with Paris - which are collections of interesting resources for the respective releases.

Joao Carlos1
Giga Guru

Hi @Maik Skoddow ,

Nice Compilation. Thanks for taking your time and sharing!

Best regards,

Joao.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Joao Carlos ,

Glad to hear it is helpful for you!

Kind regards
Maik

Daniel Draes
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Maik,

lots of effort you put into creating and updating this 😄

How about crowd-sourcing? Why not use a git-repo and store it as HTML files in there? This would allow other users to contribute and not just you to update ...

Daniel

Francisco4
Mega Explorer

Hello Maik

I'm reading your compilation of knowledge and I think it's fabulous..., but, I don't see the access links. Is it correct? or what am I doing wrong that I don't see them?

Thank you very much for everything

Regards

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi Francisco

what do you mean with "access links"?

Kind regards
Maik

Francisco4
Mega Explorer

Hi Maik,

I see your page like this:

find_real_file.png

and thought each item had a link to a servicenow knowledge page, I don't see the test icons either.

Kind regards

Francisco

Joao Carlos1
Giga Guru

Hi Francisco,

There is a download link here:

find_real_file.png

I've tried it and it is not working for me at the moment. 

I download it before, here you have attached.

Francisco4
Mega Explorer

Hi Joao Carlos

Thank you very much! 

I got it!!!

I had also tried to download the document and it didn't work, so I thought there were links to the items.

Thanks for the quick response

Francisco

arielgritti
Kilo Sage

Simply amazing @Maik Skoddow !!!

Thanks!

Ariel

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi everybody,

I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience. Thanks to your comments I saw that something went wrong with the last update and I have just re-uploaded and linked the PDF document for the March release.

Kind regards
Maik

abhinaykumar
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi @Maik Skoddow 

Could you include these resource management articles in ITBM in your next update?

I hope that customers will find these articles useful.

Resource Aggregates - All that you need to know

Resource Capacity in Resource Management

Resource Management - Troubleshooting Guide

Thanks,

Abhinay Kumar Nandagiri.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @arielgritti 

Glad to hear it is helpful for you!

Kind regards
Maik

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi Abhinay Kumar Nandagiri,

thanks for suggesting these great articles. You will find them listed in the April release.

Kind regards
Maik

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

For the today uploaded May release I went through all the over 200 linked NowLearning courses and corrected them to the Quebec version if necessary. 

And I'm afraid I also had to introduce a new icon 💲 which indicates courses that are no longer free of charge.

In addition to a few reorganizations in the chapter structure, there is also a new chapter "Subscription Management & Licensing". And, of course, lots of new content.

Cdohert
Tera Contributor

This is beautiful - another reference point for your breakdown of chapters could be synced up against as well is the list provided in the Domain Separation level support (Quebec). There are some updates made from Paris not quite yet reflected in your most recent update: For example, HRSD is now under 'Employee Service Management' with "Legal Service Delivery" and "Safe Workplace Suite". 

If I'm mistaken, I apologize! this is awesome and handy regardless - 

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Cdohert 

Thank you for pointing this out. For the next release, I have modified the capital structure accordingly.

Kind regards
Maik

Vishal Savajia1
Tera Guru

Excellent Stuff ! 

Thank you ! 🙂

Jon Collins2
Kilo Sage

Wow, this is incredible. Thank you for sharing this, Maik!

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Glad to hear that it could help you!

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Glad to hear that it could help you!

Balaji MR
Tera Contributor

Thank you so much. A wonderful go-to place, this is helping me to a great extent.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Glad to hear that it can help you!

Angel Reyes
Tera Explorer

Thanks for sharing, this is Awesome!

Vivi Brasil
Tera Guru

Hello Maik, it is an excellent aggreation of resources, I really appreciate all your efforts in preparing this, and for keeping this updated as well!

I have only small suggestions:

On page 14: "Blogs & Articles", there are two links for Blogs which seem to not being loading anymore:

So, in case you could consider to remove them please, or replace them by these other Blogs (only consider if you think they are relevant for the purposes here):

The ServiceNow Implementation Blog with posts written by Shiva Thomas, is a good source for some of the most recent Certification Programs, like CMA and CTA, and for Now Community recognition programs.

PS: I would suggest to add the White Paper available in the ServiceNow Development Path (KB0552854), which covers the Update Set migration process, Update Set naming convention, etc.
However, this KB Article is restricted for customers on Now Support (I have access to it because I have a ServiceNow ID associated with a Now Support account), so, I think it is not valid here, as you said in the selection criteria, it should have unrestricted availability.

Thank you so much!
Viviane

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @vibrasil 

Thank you for probably the most comprehensive feedback I have ever received for my document.

I will integrate your suggestions for the next edition in March.

And I wish you a continued exciting journey through the ServiceNow universe.

Maik

Vivi Brasil
Tera Guru

Hi Maik, that's very good to know! Thank you so much for considering these suggestions.

Your document is awesome, I have shared it with my colleagues, it will be greatly used (along with the overview of all your articles).

Thanks, I appreciate that. And I hope you keep this fantastic way to share your knowledge and expertise, it helps us a lot, and we could be inspired by your attitude.

Viviane

Joel L
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hello Mike, 

i have seen many courses that allowed to reorder another instance after the two weeks life time of the initial instance when you continue working on the course at a later time. But of course work done in one instance is not available to the other.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Joel L. 

please have a look on the date of my previous comment. It was a year ago and meanwhile the situation regarding course instances has changed. Now it is really possible to reorder another instance, which is one of the best improvements in the Now Learning Portal.

Maik

Joel L
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi @Maik Skoddow ,

i am sorry, i just read November update ... a bit confusing that communities shows this to me as the first comment below your article, which made me assume it is the latest available and just some months old.

In the long term this made me think about my own writing style, i would also perhaps left out the year. I find a lot of community entries which first sound interesting but then you realize they are years old and in some cases not applicable anymore at all. I did not check weather there is some guidance how to write good articles, blogs and comments including some clarification right inside the text to set the context of version and applicability for future consumers of the element.

An example might be the Vendor Management Overview Article, which is a few years old and does not reflect the differences between the different techniques e.g. legacy and UI builder based workspaces and their installation amongst others.

I do not have a general solution yet other then the writing guidance mentioned above and maybe some extension of the communities functionality that reminds authors over the year of their older articles, comments or other entities if they opt in for it.

I created an idea, comments and upvotes are welcome!

Remind authors to validate their content

Kind regards .. .

PS: will try to train myself to check the date of the article instantly.

Joel L
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hello @Maik Skoddow,

i realized that within ITSM there is a gap for

Service Portfolio Management including Service Owner Workspace, its successor Digital Product Management

and Vendor Management Workspace.

I will have a look what sources i find and add it as an comment to this comment.

Kind regards

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Joel L. 

I totally agree with you and I have upvoted your idea.

Thanks for your engagement
Maik

Raj_Esh
Tera Guru
Tera Guru

Hi @Maik Skoddow ,

Thank you very much for creating the article and keeping it up to date. 

Thanks,

Raj

Joel L
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hello @Maik Skoddow here is my first collection for Vendor Manager Workspace: 

Portal Content Type
Home Vendor Manager Workspace Product Page

NowLearning Vendor Manager Workspace Essentials On demand course

Community Community for Vendor Manager Workspace Community
  Blog: What is Vendor Manager Workspace? Blog
  Blog: Vendor Manager Workspace Overview Blog
  Vendor Manager Workspace FAQ Article

Docs Vendor Management Workspace Experience Documentation

ON24 ITSM Pro Series Webcast: Vendor & service workspace as your single destination for service and vendo... On demand webinar, registration needed

Youtube Vendor Manager Workspace Overview Video 5 min
  Vendor Manager Workspace Demo (New York) Video 15 min
  Office Hour 32 ITSM Vendor Manager Workspace Video 38 min

NowCreate Vendor Manager Workspace - Scoping Guide Document
  Vendor Management Workspace - Process Workshop Slidedeck
  Vendor Manager Workspace - Process Guide Document

Store Vendor Management March '22 Version 2.0.2 App 

Joel L
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

By the way Service Owner Workspace within Service Porfolio Management gets depricated in San Diego and is replaced with Digital Portfolio Management. ITBM is renamed Strategic Portfolio Management.

So to use the abrevation SPM can cause missunderstanding what level you refer to.

Also to my knowledge DPM and VMW in the newest versions are Customizable Workspaces that you might want to adapt using UI Builder. UI Builder itself is more structured and powerful for adaptation of the UI but it also means you first have to master a new technology to fluently adapt Configurable Workspaces. They are also currently not integrated as the legacy workspaces were.

Hope this helps.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Joel L. 

thank you for your contribution! I really appreciate that. 

I added another chapter to my document based on your resources.

Kind regards
Maik 

Kartik Sethi
Tera Guru
Tera Guru

Hi @Maik Skoddow 

Thanks for all the effort and time that you have spent on creating such a sorted and amazing document!!

It feels like I have found a treasure!

Thanks and regards,

Kartik

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Thanks, for the feedback Raj!

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Glad to hear that it is helpful for you!

Tom Devlin
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Brilliant document! well done

wsbarth
Kilo Contributor

An absolute legend! Thank you, and thank you all for posting great content in these comments!

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Thanks for the feedback,.

Jacques Clement
Tera Guru
Tera Guru

Hi @Maik Skoddow, it looks like the AshleySN resources from Ashley Snyder are no longer available; or is it just me?

Thanks.

Maik Skoddow
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi @Jacques Clement 

Thanks for the hint. I'wll ask @Ashley Snyder .

Version history
Last update:
Friday
Updated by:
Contributors