The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

This article is to guide you on the time out settings for Virtual Agent. 

There are two areas to consider here,

1. Before connecting to live agent

2. After connecting to live agent

Before connecting to live agent: 

User is having a conversation with VA and got distracted and left the conversation without properly closing down the chat. This happens lot of times, when the user comes back within 24 hours, the conversation is then started where the user has actually left. The OOB timing to reinstate the user conversation is 24 hours.

But many of us want the timing to cut short to 2 hour or may be 1 hour instead of 24 hours. To do that there is a system property and a scheduled job has to be amended. 

Property - com.glide.cs.conversation_idle_timeout

Scheduled job - Time Out Abandoned VA Conversations

If the property does not exist you can create one. The OOB setting of property is 24 hours in seconds [Integer - 86400]. Similarly the job has to configured periodically. 

After connecting to live agent

User is connected to live agent and not responding to live agent chat or distracted. The below properties controls the timeout settings, the OOB settings for reminder is [180 sec] and for cancelling the chat is [360 sec]. The job is default configured to 2 min so I believe no tweaking is required here. 

Property - com.glide.cs.idle_chat_reminder_timeout
                 com.glide.cs.idle_chat_cancel_timeout

Scheduled job - Idle Chat Timer Task

Initially I was not aware these settings exist and was trying to figure out to close down the conversations by custom scripts. Later this was introduced in NewYork and made things easy. 

docs - https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/paris-performance-analytics-and-reporting/page/administer/virtual...

https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/paris-servicenow-platform/page/administer/workspace/concept/idle-...

Thanks!

Murali

Comments
Srijan
Kilo Expert

Hi, I tried adding the 'com.glide.cs.conversation_idle_timeout' system property in my NY instance and also executed the 'Time Out Abandoned VA Conversations' scheduled job. I set the timer (integer value) to 5 secs for testing purpose in the property, yet the chat doesnt close. Any idea what else needs to be done for this to work? 

Also, any help on how to achieve if I want to trigger a Follow up topic after 60 secs if user idle. Any schedule job script or any other way I can achive this? 

I'm fairly new to this, any leads on this would be really helpful. Thanks.

Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

Hi Srijan,

Try to update to 60 sec, initiate a conversation and wait for 60 sec and then trigger the schedule job manually - Time Out Abandoned VA Conversations. Test it out in this way. 

Thanks

Srijan
Kilo Expert

Yeah this worked for me. Now, the chat is getting closed after the timer that I have set. 

Any idea on the below:

"Also, any help on how to achieve if I want to trigger a Follow up topic after 60 secs if user idle. Any schedule job script or any other way I can achive this? "

Instead of closing the conversation after sometime...i want a custom messgae or a topic to be triggered.

sarabjeet
Giga Expert

Hi Murali,

'After connecting to live agent' this point does not work in New York please let us know how to configure for it.

Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

Hi Sarabjeet,

You have to create two system properties if it doesn't already exist. Then check the job if it is active and runs periodically. 

Property - com.glide.cs.idle_chat_reminder_timeout
                 com.glide.cs.idle_chat_cancel_timeout

Scheduled job - Idle Chat Timer Task

Thanks

sarabjeet
Giga Expert

Hi Murali,

We are unable to find any schedule job with this name in system.

Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

can you check if you are on or above patch 6. This was introduced around patch 6.

sarabjeet
Giga Expert

i am on patch 4.

Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

I am sorry its not in NewYork, its in Orlando. sorry I confused you - https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/orlando-servicenow-platform/page/administer/workspace/concept/idl...

sarabjeet
Giga Expert

it's completely fine but i need to configure it in New York so is there any way to achieve this in it.

Feddy
Tera Guru

Related to chat timeout message

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=4d4a2ae61b9a6490ed6c9979b04b...

Please visit this question and give me your inputs.
Any help would be much appreciated

AndyLock
Mega Guru

Here is the script include and job for Idle Chat, taken from Paris patch7

Marques2
Tera Expert

@Murali How about a property for timeout if the Agent doesn't respond in X amount of time. These properties all seem to be around the Requester abandoning the conversation. However, if the Agent gets distracted, there's a desire for a smooth transition from one Agent perhaps to another or back into the Chat queue. Any thoughts?

Sai Mohith Gand
Kilo Contributor

Hi @Murali 

So lets say I have a situation where the end user has initiated a chat and requires some info from the agent, and agent responds say please wait for 5-6 min & agent comes after some time and see chat has been abandoned automatically after 6 min, so in this type so scenarios what should be the approach.

Please let me know

Thanks

Stuart Comstiv1
Tera Contributor

Thank you for this. Should the same system properities etc apply to Virtual Agent sessions regardless of how the VA is engaged with eg via browser / Now Mobile app? We have an issue with VA timeout when using Now Mobile app before connecting to a live agent, but works as expected once connected to a live Agent. When connecting via Browser, timeout works as expected both before and after connecting.

Miguel Alvarez1
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi @Muralidharan BS 

Is there any property or functionality to manage a reminder but before connecting to a live agent. I am looking for something to remind the user first and them close the conversation but not when the end user is connected to a live agent

Muralidharan BS
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

HI @Miguel Alvarez1 you can try this - com.glide.cs.conversation_idle_timeout. this managers the timeout for user before live agent queue. 

Kass3m
Tera Expert

Where is the timeout setting for --if the agent does not pick up the chat?

Thats not abandoned chat, is it?

anuj27
Tera Expert

Hi @Muralidharan BS,

Need a bit of your help, 

I am currently facing a similar requirement where I have to change the timeout settings of idle virtual agent chat on the portal that we have created.

I changed this system property:  com.glide.cs.conversation_idle_timeout and also configured the scheduled job: 

Time Out Abandoned VA Conversations. But somehow its not working for me. What could be the reason ? 

I have checked it on PDI , and its worked fine.

Guide me where to look for. 

Thanks

Bharat Tagad
Tera Contributor

Hi 

I am not getting reminder message for live agent chat. How to get rid of this?

Also agent chat is not canceling after 9mins ( time set in Idle Chat Timer Task). Previously it was working fine.

Please help me ....🙁

Version history
Last update:
‎08-17-2020 02:08 AM
Updated by: