The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gaurav Shirsat
Mega Sage

Check the Current Logged in Users Role from Client and Server Side

We always come across with concept of Roles available to the user or the Roles assigned to the User. as a system administrator we have the authority from ServiceNow to perform any development activity with “Admin Role.” but sometimes we need to restrict some users and that can be achieved using the ACL i.e. Access Control. The Backbone for the ACL is Role. ServiceNow Provides numerous Out of The Box Roles.

https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/paris-platformadministration/page/administer/roles/reference/r_Ba...

also we can create our custom Roles.one user can have multiple Roles. we are not going into the details of ACL in this Article. The Focus of this Article is how can we check the details of current user like what roles he is carrying or the role which we want, is he having that role or not?

two possible ways for this is to check it at client side or some times for customization or Modules or Application we need to check the Role in server side. both server and client Side needs JavaScript coding for that.

we will see each and every API and Method that are available in ServiceNow with practical use case implemented in my Personal Developer Instance. all these used cases are Implemented in Paris Version.

Section 1.1

Client Side:- ServiceNow Client Scripts runs on user’s Browser. Validation are performed on user side that is on the Browser itself. for that ServiceNow has Provided two important API of GlideUser i.e. g_user and GlideForm i.e. g_form

https://developer.servicenow.com/dev.do#!/reference/api/orlando/client/c_GlideUserAPI

Before we start the use case let me quickly tell you how we can check this.

We are going to perform onload client script on Incident Form. after loading the Incident we will see how the different methods behave differently and shows output. we are going to use GlideForm addInfoMessage() Method. if you want you can go for alert() also.

Use Case:- When the Incident Form Loads, we can see the current logged in user has particular role or not. The methods will return true or false.

ServiceNow Provides us Four Different Methods  under the GlideUser API:-

• hasRole(' ');
  • hasRoles();
  • hasRoleExactly(' ');
  • hasRoleFromList(‘ ',' ',’ ’);

Now we will discuss one by one about these roles:-

Section 1.3

Methods and its significance

g_user.hasRole(' ') :-  this method return true if the current logged in  user has the role which we have provided in (' ') section., otherwise false.it will always returns true if the user has the 'admin' role.

g_user.hasRoles():-     this method  return true if current logged in user has any single role atleast.

g_user.hasRoleExactly(‘ ’):- this method return true if current logged in user has role we which have provided in (' ') section.

g_user.hasRoleFromList(' ',' ',’ ’):- this method return true if current logged in user has admin role or the role/roles from the list which we have provided in (' ') section.

Check the below screen shot which I have implemented in my PDI. Follow the Same Procedure for better understanding. I have logged in as Admin.

Section 1.4

Real Time Implementation for better understanding

We have written one client script that will work as soon as form load. Declared one array named as info which will collect the details of different cases. and then for collective answer we are displaying the outputs collectively in that array object.

Create one onload client script on incident table.

find_real_file.png

Add the script as given below

find_real_file.png

Now notice the output that after the form load, you can see the information message shows true four times. check section 1.3 again if you have any query regarding the output message.

find_real_file.png

Now we will see the use case by impersonating the system. we will log in as Abel Tuter.

find_real_file.png

Now observe carefully the output window will show the false four times. this is because neither case from our script is getting satisfied by Abel Tuter.

find_real_file.png

Somebody still may have doubt that how it is possible for the 2nd case.

Check the below screenshot that Abel Tuter is just Normal End User. No other role is given to him.

find_real_file.png

This is about the Checking Role at client Side. based on this we can restrict or allow users for various operations.

in the Upcoming section we will discuss the Server Side Role Validation:-

Server Side:- This is the Case where the details of current logged in users are available in the Database. we have to fetch the details using the server side scripting. various techniques are used for server side scripting such as Business Rule, Script Include, Fix Script, Background Script.

Generally, in server side we need to check the Role  for Customization of Modules or Application.

if condition is followed with ServeNow Role or Customized Role. based on that “true” or “false” further customizations are performed.

For the Server Side Scripting,the Server Side API global object of GlideSystem i.e, gs object has the methods of check the Roles.

At the server side we have one method called as gs.hasRole()

We can provide multiple role here to check the condition as gs.hasRole(‘ ’,’ ’,’ ’,’ ’);

Use Case :- as soon as the incident form is updated. we can see, there will be an informative message box that will tell whether current user has the role or not which is mentioned in script else it will tell the user’s name.

For this we have written one Before Update Business Rule which will work on update. we are passing the admin and itil role for our used case.

Let’s create the Business Rule and Scripts. Please follow the same for better understanding

find_real_file.png

find_real_file.png

As the I have i.e. current Logged in user having admin and ITIL Role,it is showing us the message.

for admin and itil role condition check, there will be OR operation in between both conditions.

find_real_file.png

Now we will Test this by impersonating with Abel Tuter. as discussed earlier. Abel Tuter is normal user,so the condition false and it shows that in the error message box.

find_real_file.png

This is the simple used case that we have implemented successfully. depends on requirement please select the adequate methods from the client side or server side.

Note:- for the beginners, there is one question in ServiceNow ITSM or System Administrator interview being always asked, "what is the difference between these Roles."

Please Read the Article, make sure you don’t get confuse. implement this in your PDI with different test cases.

also refer one of my ServiceNow Community answer Related to this:-

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=40d40821db9954504819fb243996...

Link of my Other Article

Reference Qualifiers

Thanks !

Comments
Pranav Bhagat
Administrator
Administrator

Nice Summary 🙂

Amey3
Giga Expert

Hi

Nice Practically Implemented Article.

vijay136
Mega Explorer
Good explanation.... Helpful...
Renuka7
Giga Explorer
Helpfull... very Good explaination
sekhar kurumoju
Kilo Guru
Grate explanation Thank you sharing knowledge
Sanath Ramachan
Mega Explorer

The details are very helpful Gaurav. Thanks

Wendy Sheehan1
Tera Contributor

Very well explained and userful article. Thanks Gaurav !

Prasad Dhumal
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

Good explanation.... Helpful.. 

Lutuf Ali Shah1
Tera Expert

I commend you for your thorough work.

Anmol6
Mega Contributor

Well explained, really helpful.

anjali_sinha1
Kilo Explorer

Very informative, really helpful Article. 

venkatesh10
Giga Contributor

Useful Information... Thank you

ServiceNow Use6
Tera Guru

Thanks, Gaurav. Very helpful.

srilakshmikanth
Tera Contributor

thanks for sharing the knowledge its very useful and helpful

Aditya1204
Tera Contributor

very helpful

Hslk
Kilo Contributor
Nice summary:)
Naman Punia
Kilo Expert

Thanks Gaurav for brief explanation.

Pramod KInge1
Giga Contributor

This is great explaination !!

Chetan Mahajan
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

Nice Explained, really useful content.

SivaJeneeswari
Tera Expert

Thanks for this well explained article!

Gaurav Shirsat
Mega Sage

Thanks.

Please Mark Helpful.

also visit this one more below article written by me.

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_article&sys_id=8ffacb6ddb18f010414eeeb5ca961...

Thanks

Murthy Ch
Mega Sage
Mega Sage

@Gaurav Shirsat 

Nice explanation!..

Same practiced in PDI 🙂

Thanks,
Murthy

Rohit Raj
Tera Contributor

Well, explanation with Practically Implement.

Gaurav Shirsat
Mega Sage

Thanks

Savita vilas ka
Mega Explorer
Thank for sharing
Renuka7
Giga Explorer
Very helpful, Thanks Gaurav
Surbhi12
Tera Contributor
Well explained...thank you Gaurav!
Disha2
Tera Explorer

Good Helpful!

Shakeel Shaik
Mega Sage
Mega Sage

Great Article, Thank you so much :))

PratikshaAbhang
Tera Contributor
Great explanation and useful Article. Thanks Gaurav.
Asma Nadaf
Kilo Contributor

Nice summary

muhammad hussai
Mega Explorer

hats off !

Kenneth Zabrisk
Mega Guru

Explanation is very useful, but I would like to see this extended to include a specific discussion of snc_external, the role that is not a role.  See KB0711977.

Cause:  hasRoles() method returns false because the system considers external users to be without a role.

Resolution:  This behavior is expected. snc_external or sn_customerservice.customer is a special role which is used to indicate a user is an external user. getRole() for an external user always return false since by definition an external user has no role on an instance.  

Gaurav Shirsat
Mega Sage

Hello

Sure will add more views on this for snc_external

Gaurav Shirsat : ServiceNow Community MVP 2022
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gauravshirsat/

Sandip Patil1
Tera Contributor

Very helpful, Thank you for creating such a nice article 👍

Mahathi
Tera Guru

Very nicely explained with good examples