The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark Roethof
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi there,

The URL Applet functionality of the Now Mobile sounds promising. Though, uhh, how do we get this to work?! The Docs doesn't describe this completely, and the Mobile Developer Fundamentals video only shows a way for the Agent App, which doesn't instantly work for the Now Mobile.

Concerning Mobile, a lot can be done in both Studio and Platform UI. You will also quickly feel the crazy mixture of several different scoped applications. Or at least it feels crazy 🙂 For this article, I tried to stuck with only the Platform UI.

Applet

First would be to set up an Applet. Just navigate to "System Mobile > Applets". When clicking the New UI Action a pop-up concerning the Screen Type appears. "Browser Screen" would be our choice for the URL Applet.

find_real_file.png

On the Browser Screen, most important of course is the URL. It is possible to use a Relative URL.

find_real_file.png

Applet Launcher

With our Applet set-up, we could now tie this to our out-of-the-box "Homepage" Applet Launcher. Navigate to "System Mobile > Applet Launcher". The Applet Launcher Section is under the "Body" Section. Just double click the Insert new row..., add an order (for example 100), and create a new Section.

find_real_file.png

When creating a new Mobile Section, a pop-up concerning the Section Type appears. "Icon Section" would be our choice for tying the Applet to our Applet Launcher.

find_real_file.png

On the Icon Section, most import is the "Applets" list. Select the created Applet from the previous step here.

find_real_file.png

Now just save the Icon Section, and save the Applet Launcher to finish off.

Result

When refreshing the Now Mobile app (no need to logout/login), on the homepage the newly created Icon Section would appear.

find_real_file.png

And now what we were actually after… when clicking the Icon Section, within the Now Mobile app the URL that we've defined will be opened. In this example, the Virtual Agent with an additional parameter to skip loading the history.

find_real_file.png

This example is just about a URL applet concerning the Virtual Agent. Though knowing this, the possibilities are endless. Opening UI pages, Dashboards, etcetera.

---

And that's it actually. Hope you like it. If any questions or remarks, let me know!

👍
If this post helped you in any way, I would appreciate it if you hit bookmark or mark it as helpful.

Interested in more articles, blogs, videos, and Share projects on Now Mobile app I published?
- Now Mobile app

Kind regards,
Mark
2020 ServiceNow Community MVP
2020 ServiceNow Developer MVP

---

LinkedIn

Comments
David Ha
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing! This can also be done natively instead of using a web URL.

Here's an example of launching native Virtual Agent on mobile using a quick action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxqTMBeEApk

Best,

David

siddhi sawant
Tera Contributor

Hi @Mark Roethof  @David Ha 

siddhisawant_0-1708682836193.png

In Icon section, I didn't find the Applet field

Version history
Last update:
‎03-29-2020 10:49 PM
Updated by: