The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grant Hulbert
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Introduction 

CloudWatch provides a wealth of configurable monitoring features, and an easy way to send that information virtually anywhere by using AWS SNS (Simple Notification Service). 

ServiceNow routes incidents to the right people in your organization who need to take action when something meaningful happens in your AWS environment.

This post demonstrates how to integrate AWS SNS topics to send messages to ServiceNow, open an incident when a CloudWatch alarm is triggered, and test your configuration with a sample CloudWatch alarm.

Configure ServiceNow

We will use a free ServiceNow developer instance to do our work. If you already have one, feel free to use your own.

1. Log in to https://developers.service-now.com, and request a developer instance https://developer.servicenow.com/app.do#!/instance
  2. Log in to the developer instance as administrator, and make sure to remember your login credentials (these will be used later when configuring SNS topic subscription URLs)
  3. Navigate to System Applications -> Studio, and choose [Import From Source Control]
  4. Enter the following URL  https://github.com/byukich/x_snc_aws_sns and leave both “User name” and “Password” fields emptyfind_real_file.png
  1. Close the Studio browser tab; you won’t be needing it any more
  2. Refresh your ServiceNow browser tab, and navigate to “AWS SNS”. Notice three new navigation links on the left pane:
    find_real_file.png

Create AWS SNS topic and subscription

1. Log in to SNS console, in N Virginia, https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/v2/home
  2. Click [Topics] on left pane

3. Click [Create new topic], give it a name and display name "ServiceNow”
  4. Click [Create Topic]
  5. Click the ARN link for the topic you just created

6. Click [Create Subscription]

7. Choose HTTPS protocol

8. Endpoint (note: use the admin password that was given to you when you acquired the free ServiceNow developer instance): https://admin:<ServiceNow admin password>@<your developer instance>.service-now.com/api/x_snc_aws_sns/aws_sns

9. Click [Create subscription]

10. Note that your new subscription is "PendingConfirmation"
    find_real_file.png

Confirm SNS subscription on ServiceNow

Before AWS SNS is allowed to send messages to ServiceNow, you must confirm the subscription on ServiceNow. At this point, AWS has already sent a handshake request, and it’s awaiting confirmation inside your ServiceNow instance.

1. On your ServiceNow browser tab, navigate to AWS SNS -> Subscriptions, and notice that a new record has been created by AWS.
    find_real_file.png
  2. Open the subscription by clicking “ServiceNow”, and click [Confirm Subscription]
    find_real_file.png
  3. Stay on this page, because you will need to create a “Handler” next

Now let’s do something meaningful whenever AWS SNS sends an alarm. In this case, we want open an incident when CloudWatch notifies you of a budget threshold being crossed. ServiceNow provides a script “Handler” that is invoked when SNS sends an alarm message. To configure a handler to create an incident, follow the instructions below:

1. At the bottom of the Subscription form, find the section titled “Handlers”
  2. Click [New] and type a name for the handler, such as “Create SNS Spending Alarm Incident”
  3. Paste the following code at line 3 (just inside the function):
    var incident = new GlideRecord("incident");
    incident.initialize();
    incident.short_description = "SNS Alarm: "+message.AlarmName;
    incident.description = "AWS Account ID: " + message.AWSAccountId + "\nRegion: " + message.Region + "\nDescription: " + message.NewStateReason;
    incident.insert();​
    find_real_file.png

1. Click [Submit] to save the handler

Test using CloudWatch

To test this integration, a CloudWatch alarm is going to be created and tripped to trigger an SNS message, which will create an incident in ServiceNow.

1. Navigate to Cloudwatch; your alarm should be in the same region as your SNS topic, N Virginia.
  2. Click “Create an Alarm” under Browse metrics, select Billing
    find_real_file.png
  1. Select “USD” and hit next as shown below:
    find_real_file.png
  1. Complete Setup by filling the details as shown below:
    find_real_file.png
  2. To test your Alarm, go to the same modification page as shown above, and chage your threshold to something lower than your current spend. That will trigger your alarm.

For example before trigger:

Alarms->Select Alarm->Modify

find_real_file.png 

1. After refreshing the page, your alarm should be triggered
    find_real_file.png
  1. Navigate to ServiceNow and check whether an Incident was created.
    find_real_file.png
  1. If you see an incident, then you have successfully integrated SNS and ServiceNow.
    find_real_file.png

Conclusion

This blog demonstrated one way of integrating ServiceNow with CloudWatch, by creating an incident whenever AWS billing exceeds a threshold. The principle can be extended to any type of SNS topic which notifies ServiceNow whenever anything meaningful happens inside AWS cloud environment. Within ServiceNow’s SNS Handlers, you can create any type of ServiceNow record you like; it could kick off an automated workflow, or create Events/Alerts/Notifications, or even automatically orchestrate some kind of remediation.

Below diagram shows some of the automation you can perform using this integration pattern.

find_real_file.png 

Authors:

Grant Hulbert (Sr. Technology Alliance Architect)

Grant Hulbert is a senior Technology Alliance Architect for Servicenow, and manages technology relationships with ServiceNow’s global strategic alliance partner engineers

Itai David Njanji (Sr. Consultant, AWS)

Itai David Njanji is a certified Solutions Architect at AWS and leads the Operations Integrations practice on tooling strategy between AWS services and third party tools such as ServiceNow.

Special thanks to Ben Yukich, who wrote the ServiceNow source code for this integration

Learn more about the authors on Linkedin Itai David Njanji  Grant Hulbert  Ben Yukich

Comments
meng
Kilo Explorer

Thank you for the easy to follow article!

NIrakar
Kilo Contributor

its not working for me,can you help me on this ?

Nilesh
Kilo Contributor

It is not working.I created the SNS topic & subscription in AWS but I am not able to view any thing in SNS Subscription in Servicenow.

When I open the endpoint in browser I get error GET method not supported for API

Nilesh
Kilo Contributor

I have created Create SNS Memory Utilization Alarm Incident and used the code

var incident = new GlideRecord("incident");

incident.initialize();

incident.short_description = "SNS Alarm: "+message.AlarmName;

incident.description = "AWS Account ID: " + message.AWSAccountId + "\nRegion: " + message.Region + "\nDescription: " + message.NewStateReason;

incident.insert();​

In the incident in description it displays AWS account Id,Region and description of the reason but I need to get the Instance ID for which the alarm is created .What needs to be added to the above script.

hrng
Giga Expert

Are you verifying the message signature at all? Had a quick look through the code and couldn't see any signing going on, but might be missing something. 🙂

blanc
Kilo Contributor

In "Configure ServiceNow" step 4 when I try to install the application from https://github.com/byukich/x_snc_aws_sns

find_real_file.png

I have a failure with this message error "Repository authentication failed, check credentials. Make sure the user has both read and write access".

find_real_file.png

My ServiceNow version is Orlando (and it doesn't work even on an ootb developer instance). As asked I let the User name and Password fields empty.

Someone else have this trouble ?

How can I fix this trouble ?

injanji
Kilo Contributor

Try to clone the repo into your own github. Then follow the steps of importing it into ServiceNow from your own github with your username/password also being entered

Radha Krishna G
Tera Contributor

you have to create your own Github account and clone the Source from github.

now you have to use your own GutHub account credentials here to import all the updates.

PriyankaKumari
Tera Contributor

This does not work for me, its asking for credentials

PriyankaKumari_0-1676448792455.png

urtasker
Giga Explorer

You cover a lot of things but it's not working for me, here are some steps you can follow.

1. Set up an Amazon CloudWatch Alarm to detect when certain conditions are met.

2. Configure the Amazon CloudWatch Alarm to send alerts to an Amazon SNS topic.

3. Set up an Amazon SNS subscription to send notifications to ServiceNow.

4. Create an event listener in ServiceNow to receive notifications from the Amazon SNS topic.

5. Create an Automated Action in ServiceNow based on the CloudWatch Alarm to automatically create a new incident when the alarm is triggered.

If you want to get more help or are stuck anywhere and you have no option you must contact our affiliation Urtasker https://www.urtasker.com/amazon-account-management/ , we gave professional services for sellers.

Version history
Last update:
‎06-15-2018 04:01 PM
Updated by: