Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willem
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

It is well known in the ServiceNow Community that releases are named after cities. What is not known is how it is decided what city will be used for the naming.

find_real_file.png

Triggered by the questions and suggestions in both the Community and LinkedIn, this series will investigate possible options to determine the names. Why not "U" for "Utrecht" or a city in India? Hopefully we can figure this out together. If you have any alternate theories you would like to investigate, please leave in the comments. If you know on what basis a city is picked, also please let us know!

Investigation

[ Please note, this is not scientific research]

To investigate this, each Article will investigate a hypothesis. First the hypothesis is tested and then an alternative list of release version names is proposed.

The hypothesis that will be covered:

Version names and release dates

This table shows the Release names and release dates. These can be found here:

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_article&sys_id=0886b5dddb5a3b00d82ffb2439961...

Release name

Date

Aspen

Berlin

20/09/2012

Calgary

25/06/2013

Dublin

Eureka

15/05/2014

Fuji

01/03/2015

Geneva

01/12/2015

Helsinki

12/05/2016

Istanbul

Jakarta

2017-06

Kingston

16/11/2017

London

26/07/2018

Madrid

24/01/2019

New York

May/19

Orlando

11/03/2020

Paris

Q3-2020

Quebec

Q1-2021

Rome

Q3-2021

San Diego

Q2-2022

Tokyo

Q4-2022

Utah

Q2-2023

Vancouver

Q4-2023

Washington

Q2-2024

Statistics

Below shows some of the statistics based on the current city/version names.

find_real_file.png

Per Continent:

Let’s first see which continent is most represented in the ServiceNow version names list:

find_real_file.png

Per Country:

Drilling down to a country level, shows the following results:

find_real_file.png

Comments
OP
Tera Contributor

May be rule is very simple.

Just first city name letter matters.

Willem
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

What do you mean?

OP
Tera Contributor

SNOW versions are ordered using lexicographic approach vs. more traditional versioning number. Good marketing approach differentiating SNOW from other vendors.

City names were used to support this. 

Next cities will be starting with "X", then "Y" and finally "Z". If no changes we'll see city starting with "A" after that.

P.S. Could be missing your topic point. 🙂 

Willem
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Ah then I think you missed the point. I start the intro with: "It is well known in the ServiceNow Community that releases are named after cities."

The articles are about why not "U" for "Utrecht" instead of "Utah" or for example a city in India?

OP
Tera Contributor

Ok. Could be wrong but I doubt that there is a logical reasoning behind this. Will see your findings 😉

Sam10
Tera Contributor

Canada represented 3 times?. I see only one (Vancouver) 

Unless, Kingston & London are the ones that are based in Ontario.

Willem
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Hi Sam,

The cities in Canada are:

- Calgary

- Quebec

- Vancouver (you spotted that one)

3 in total.

As for Kingston it is the capital of Jamaica. Kingston City however is local government area in Australia

MichaelP1
Tera Contributor

My few suggestions for future naming;

• Xinjiang, China
  • York, UK
  • Zanzibar, Tanzania
  • Adelaide, Australia / Austin, USA
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Canberra, Australia (our capital city!)

jMarshal
Kilo Sage
Kilo Sage

#gravedigger -- bringing this post back from the dead

Hey @Sam10 - Canada could also claim Eureka (Nunavut) and Paris (Ontario) -- that's 7 for the Canucks! LOL

I found this post because I was also "weirded out" that Utah is the only place name on the list, which isn't actually a municipality or municipal region.

...unless you count "Québec" as Le Province du Québécois (PQ), rather than La Ville de Québec (Québec City), but that's a stretch.

Utah though? There's no Utah City...and TONS of cities that start with "U". So weird....they even went so far as to include "DC" for Washington, to distinguish from the state in the pacific NW.

...also, I'm very much looking forward to the "Hair Era" that is rumored to be coming...maybe they'll kick off the announcement with 'Coop playing K24 - wouldn't that be something!?!?! Think of all the fun we could have with that...Bango Tango, Cinderella, Dokken, Extreme, Firehouse, Guns N Roses, Hanoi Rocks...😅🤣

courtenay1
Tera Expert

Before cities the feature releases were seasons e.g. Winter 2008 , but that locked the release cycle to quarters.

And before seasons, going way back, GlideSoft was just major.minor number releases e.g. v1.1 2004.

Maybe after "Zanzibar" maybe it could be apples ?

Starting with Ambrosia, ending in Zestar!

Version history
Last update:
‎02-10-2022 12:49 PM
Updated by: