cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samyuktha Reddy
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Eliza_0-1666379586923.png

Overview                                                                                                                                                                                    

1. What is Advanced Work Assignment?
The Advanced Work Assignment (AWA) module works to offer work items (e.g. interactions such as chats and walk-ups, as well as tasks such as cases and incidents) to your agents. Work is routed to agents based on their group, availability, capacity, and skills.

After determining which agent is best suited to handle the work, it then offers the work to the agent via the  Agent Inbox within a workspace. The agent will be notified using audio and visual alerts that new work arrived for them.

You have the option to allow agents to accept/reject or automatically assign the work to the agents.  Once assigned, a view of the work will open to either view the records (for tasks) or interact with the requestor through the Agent Chat interface (for interactions).

Eliza_0-1664824119424.png

For more details on AWA, click here.

2. What are the benefits of using AWA?
With AWA, work is routed to the agent that is best suited in that moment to receive the work. It reviews the availability, capacity, and skillset of those in the assigned group to determine to whom the work should be offered to. This leads to faster resolution times, as work is able to be assigned to only those who have the bandwidth and skills to complete it.

In addition, AWA enables agents to no longer need to manually sift through various lists of unassigned work items looking for work (a.k.a. the traditional “pull” model). Instead, work items are conveniently “pushed” to the agent’s inbox, so the agent can focus on doing the work, rather than looking for work.

Eliza_0-1664825389485.png

3. How is routing performed within AWA?
Work items are automatically routed to queues that focus on certain types of support, using criteria such as product line, geographic region, work item priority, or customer status, just to name a few. The queues are entirely customizable to your organization’s needs, with criteria set that informs the system what work belongs in each queue.

For a more in-depth review of the routing process, please review the guide here

4. How does AWA differ from traditional assignment rules (sysrule_assignment)?
AWA dynamically determines the agent best suited for assignment based upon the agent’s availability, capacity, and, optionally, skillset. Traditional assignment rules seek to use a defined, concrete set of criteria to assign work to certain agents/assignment groups irrespective of their current workload.

As a result of using AWA, agents are able to accept work only when they have bandwidth, leading to faster resolution times.

5. How do queues work in AWA?
Queues store the incoming work items that are yet to be assigned to a specific agent. AWA allows for multiple queues to be created - each queue should represent a type of work to facilitate alignment with agents (in assignment groups) responsible for handling that type of work.

To learn more about queues, click here.

6. Which service channels are supported in AWA?
A large range of service channels are available out-of-the-box including the following:

• Case
  • Incident
  • Chat
  • SMS
  • Facebook Messenger
  • Line
  • Walk-up
  • WhatsApp

To see the complete list, click here.

You can also create a custom service channel for those not listed above. These channels must be child tables of either the Task or Interaction tables. To learn more about custom service channels, click here.

7. If I implement AWA, does it mean that all work items from that Service Channel will be routed?
No, you can have a combination of automated routing through AWA and manual routing via Assignment Rules (sysrule_assignment). To differentiate, ensure that criteria for the Service Channel and traditional assignment rules are mutually exclusive.

8. Is a workspace required in order to use Advanced Work Assignment?
Yes, AWA must be used in conjunction with a workspace with the Agent Inbox included. The agents will use the workspace to view their incoming work via their inbox and to set their presence. If you are using a Configurable Workspace, you can add the Agent Inbox to that workspace.

More information on workspaces can be found here.

9. How does AWA differ from Predictive Intelligence?
AWA routes work to queues and agents based on conditions defined by admins. Predictive intelligence however uses Machine Learning to predict the category and assignment group based on historical data. If you wish to include this level of intelligence into AWA, Agent Affinity may be used.

To learn more about Predictive Intelligence, click here.

10. Is there an analytics view tracking performance of AWA?
Yes – there are multiple dashboards available. Please reference the guide here.

Implementation                                                                                                                             

1. Is there an implementation guide?
Yes - please see below.

In addition, the following guide is also available: Setting up Advanced Work Assignment (AWA).

2. Does AWA require Virtual Agent to be enabled?
No, AWA does not have a dependency on Virtual Agent.

3. Does AWA require Agent Chat to be enabled?
No, AWA does not require Agent Chat to be enabled, however, Agent Chat has a dependency on AWA. This means that if you install Agent Chat, AWA will be included.

4. How do I route chats to an appropriate queue according to their context? E.g., IT related chats go to an IT queue, and HR chats to an HR queue
Routing of chats can be done through the use of context variables. The context variable can be set via a pre-chat survey, or in a Virtual Agent topic. Once set, you will need to configure the queues to use this context variable to determine which queue to enter as described here.  A guide to implementing this feature is available here.

5. Does AWA have separate plugins for each area of the business?  
The generic AWA plugin works across all areas, however, ITSM, CSM, and HR have their own AWA content plugins to provide a default configuration.

These default configurations consist of pre-made records (Service Channels, Queues, Inbox Layouts, Assignment eligibility etc) that cover the end-to-end implementation of AWA for the related records. It is recommended these are configured to your organizations specific needs.

6. How do I route tickets based upon a specific reason such as language preference?
When configuring your queues, implement routing rules in the Conditions field that review the user that created the work item’s language preference. One can also leverage skill based routing to implement this functionality as seen in the guide here.

7. How can I assign work based on the agent’s work history?
You can use the Agent Affinity feature to assign work items by an agent's work history, related task, or account team affinity. You can use Agent Affinity to customize the AWA assignment process and identify the agent best suited for the work item. To activate Agent Affinity, click here.

8. How do I migrate from Connect Support to AWA & Agent Chat?
Connect Support is in the process of being deprecated, which means it will no longer be supported from the Utah release onwards. Learn more about this and how to migrate here.

9. How can I update how the work is displayed in the inbox?
The inbox layout can be configured as defined here.

Usage                                                                                                                                                                               

1. If a particular queue’s agents are busy and not able to accept additional work items, how do I re-assign it to another queue?
This is possible through the use of overflow configuration, in which you define a time limit for the primary queue agents' group, if any agent in that group does not respond within the time limit, the interaction will be re-assigned to another available agent group to work on.

To configure automatic distribution of overflow work items to an expanded pool of agents, follow the steps here.

2. What happens if an agent changes their status to unavailable, but they have work items in their inbox?
If the agent goes offline without first clearing their inbox, then that item will remain in their inbox. To avoid this issue, either:

• Set the timeout period in the assignment rule (awa_assignment_rule) to reassign the work item to a different agent once breached.
  • Set the Max Wait Time in the queue to cancel the work item if the time limit is breached.

3. What happens if no agent in the group is available?
The work item will remain in the queued state until an agent becomes available. It is recommended that multiple assignment eligibility (awa_eligibility_pool) records are created for queues in which this might be an issue. The preferred assignment group should have the field “Eligible at” set to 0, whereas overflow assignment groups should have this value set to the time in which it should be routed to them.

4. How can I configure items to be re-offered to agents, even if they reject them initially?
Within your reject reasons (awa_reject_reason), set the field “Reassignable” to be true.

5. Can I automatically set the presence of agents to unavailable?
Yes – you can set the timeout for agent presence using the system property com.glide.awa.agent_inactivity_threshold_seconds. You may have to create it within your instance, with the value set to the number of seconds before the agent is marked as inactive.

6. Can I automatically assign work to agents?

Yes - beginning in the Tokyo release, you can have work automatically assigned to agents.

Learn how to configure this functionality here.

7. How can I assign incoming work to all members of a group?
Within AWA there is no method of routing/broadcasting work to an entire group at once. It is only offered to a single agent at any time. If this a requirement, then you can have the agents (or their manager) reviewing the incoming work item queue and assigning work to themselves manually, bypassing the agent selection procedure performed by AWA.

For more information

Where can I learn more about AWA?  

• Visit the product documentation site here

Community Forum:

• Visit our community forum here
  • Subscribe to our bi-weekly Academy videos here
  • Catch up on our past Knowledge labs here
Comments
GLewis5
Giga Guru

What is he relationship between Assignment Groups and AWA Queues? Do tasks get first assigned to a Queue and then to a Group, or is it other way around? Can AWA be used together with Assignment Rules which assign Tasks to Groups based on properties of the Task

Eliza
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Giles -

Queues hold the relationship between the assignment groups and the assignment rules in the Assignment Eligibility related list.

The process is as follows:

1. Work item/task (what is being routed) is created.
  2. Work item is added to queue based upon the conditions it fulfills.
  3. Work item is then offered to agents within the assignment group defined in the Assignment Eligibility list, with priority given to agents with matching skills/capacity/availability.

Within AWA, it is also possible to assign work items to assignment groups based upon the content of the work item. This will be defined in the conditions section of the queue. For more information, you can read on how one can use Chat Context Variables from pre-chat surveys to drive which queue it goes to here (under the "Configure routing rules that use chat context variables" heading).

Thanks for the question!

GLewis5
Giga Guru

Hi Eliza.

The thing that is confusing, and not explained in the documentation, is that you can use AWA to manage assignment (to individuals) and overflow even if you are using traditional assignment rules (sysrule_assignment) to manage your routing.

This is a very important use case. Many customers have been using ServiceNow for years, and have developed sophisticated routing logic, typically using sysrule_assignment. However, these organizations would like to take advantage of the features of AWA which include automatic assignment of tasks to available individuals, and automatic overflow to alternate assignment groups if no one is available.

To do this you simply specify an assignment group in the queue condition. 

In other words, a queue can have two different types of relationships with assignment groups: there can be an input relationship as specified in the queue condition, and an output relationship as specified in the assignment eligibility.

In this situation the groups can be either the same, or different. If the groups are the same, then you are typically using assignment rules (sysrule_assignment) to manage the routing to a group, and using AWA to manage the assignment to an individual.  If the groups are different, then you might be using assignment rules (sysrule_assignment) to manage the routing to a group, and using AWA to manage overflow. When a work item is accepted, AWA will automatically update the assignment group of the task.

The question I would like to see added to this FAQ page is "Can AWA be used in conjunction with traditional assignment rules (sysrule_assignment)?"  The answer is "Yes".

Tobiucd
Tera Contributor

Point 8 states that Agent Workspace is required for AWA. Does AWA work with Service Operations Workspace as well?

Thanks.

Eliza
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi @Tobiucd!

Yes - Advanced Work Assignment works with any workspace that includes the Inbox module - including the Service Operations Workspace.

MGanon
Tera Guru

Thank you for this FAQ. The ServiceNow documentation is not very clear.

I am looking for ServiceNow documentation that outlines that

• AWA does not use the same legacy matching and assignment rules as an instance without AWA
  • Any existing legacy assignment rules will override any AWA rules.

Where is this documented?

Skylolo
Tera Contributor

Hello Eliza,
@Eliza Is it possible to use AWA and Agent Chat with only Interactions without installing Workspace ? 

sirisha17
Tera Contributor

hi @Samyuktha Reddy 

We have different scenario, where users are part of 2 groups and they want to have 3 different available options as available for grp1, available for grp2, available for both. So when they choose particular option(fro ex Available for grp1) they want to see only those incidents related to that group.

Can you please let me know how can we do this?

Anne25
Tera Contributor

Hello,

This is quite confusing for me and would appreciate if anyone responds. Scenario is we have two support groups.

1. Customer Support Group 

2. Employee Support Group

Chat will be routed based on the user who initiated a chat, right? Initially an interaction record from a customer (without employee ID) will be assigned to Customer Support Group and will be automatically assigned to the agent who accepts the chat. Same with an interaction record from an employee (with employee ID) will be assigned to Employee Support Group and will be automatically assigned to the agent who accepts the chat.

What I'm trying to do is to route first on a queue group before it will be assigned to specific group. Like for example, two newly created groups for queueing purposes.

1. Customer Queue group (some members from Customer Support Group are not included here)
2. Employee Queue group (some members from Employee Support Group are not included here)

* Customer initiated a chat > Will be routed to available members of Customer Queue group > Agent accepts the chat > Interaction will be assigned to Customer Support Group.
* Employee initiated a chat > Will be routed to available members of Employee Queue group > Agent accepts the chat > Interaction will be assigned to Employee Support Group.

Is this possible? tried using group queue priorities tab in related list but the routing seems to be incorrect.

Thank you!

Chuck Nusbaum
Tera Contributor

Hi @GLewis5 ... any chance you could point me to some more information about setting things up the way you described, that is assigning work (chats) to a group (or preferably groups based on skills) but not to an individual user so that groups have to grab the work themselves? Thank you!

newhand
Kilo Sage

@Samyuktha Reddy

Hi, I have a simple question to ask... I hope you can see this.

When a customer raises a case, AWA works as follows: it creates a work item linked with the case and puts it into a matched queue, allowing an agent to handle the case.

My question is, if an agent creates a case, will AWA catch the case and put the work item into a queue?

If the answer is "yes", could you please tell me what triggers AWA to start working? Is it upon submission?

Waiting for your reply~ thank you!

AdrienC
Mega Explorer

Is there a way to setup a routing rule that would use the FIFO (first in first out) concept between different queues in a same service channel? 
I.E: 3 different chat queues in the service channel,­ distribute oldest chat first amongst all 3 queues.

Thank you in advance

Version history
Last update:
‎12-28-2022 09:36 AM
Updated by:
Contributors