The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JennyHu
Tera Guru
Tera Guru

Bonjour Paris!  Paris is one of my favourite cities in the world.  French cuisine, the Parisian lifestyle, and the buttery croissants are top-of-mind for me.  For the love of Paris, I upgraded my Personal Developer Instance (PDI) to Paris the day after it was made available to developers. As there are many sights to explore in a city, ServiceNow's Paris release has many comparable features to explore.  

The first day, I explored one new feature in what's new in the Service Catalog.

Service Catalog is a fundamental building block to our implementation as most of our applications are request-driven through the Service Catalog.  Catalog forms use variables to capture data input from the clients. I decided this would be the first item on my Paris bucket list to explore.

Delegated Request Experience is something new to allow users to submit a request on behalf of another user or users.  The main elements are:

1. A new Requested For variable type.  If this variable type is selected, the system will return users from the [sys_user] table based on the reference qualifier you defined.  What's neat about this variable type is the ability to allow for multiple requested for users by selecting the Enable also request for checkbox. You can also limit who can request for multiple users by specifying the Roles to use also request for field.  When the request is submitted, separate requested items (RITMs) will be created based on the number of Requested For users.   A simple use case is to make a lab access request for multiple people in your team.

Note:  It's important to note that the Enable also request for feature is only available for a catalog item and not a record producer or order guide.

2. A new Access Type field for the catalog item.  By default, you don't see this field on the Catalog Item form.  You will need to add it to the form by configuring the form layout.  The default Access Type value is set to "Restricted", meaning that the catalog item is restricted based on the Available For > User Criteria for the catalog item.  If the value is set to "Delegated", then you can make the request for users even if they don't have access to the catalog item.

3. A new requested_for field in the Requested Item [sc_req_item] table.  Having this field in the RITM table is awesome.  You can map the value from Requested For variable to the RITM table field when you are configuring the variable.  

The screenshot below highlights the neat capability of submitting a single request for multiple different users.

find_real_file.pngRemember to change the Catalog Item's Access Type to 'Delegated'.  The screenshot below shows what happens if your Catalog Item's Access Type is set to 'Restricted', and you select a Requested For user who doesn't have access to this catalog item.

find_real_file.png

The screenshot below shows a single request (REQ) was submitted with multiple requested items (RITMs).  One for each Requested For user. 

find_real_file.png

Overall, from this initial sightseeing, I think the Delegated Request Experience is neat and a notable improvement to Service Catalog.  Though to benefit from the experience, it appears you must have well-defined catalog items in your Service Portal and relevant use cases.  The full experience is not available for record producer, order guide, Now Mobile, and Workspace. 

What do you think of this Delegated Request Experience

Disclaimer:  The exploration is based on the Paris EA.  The features may change when Paris is officially released in Q3 2020.

Next up in my A Day in Paris Series:

Comments
SC10
Kilo Guru

Good day,

I am testing this in my PDI, have added the Requested For variable and enabled "Enable also request for" with no roles specified. Despite this, the picker and list to select additional "Request for" users are not displaying - delegated access is enabled on the Catalog Item. Any idea what might be missing?

Thank you

JennyHu
Tera Guru
Tera Guru

Hi @ShaneCossever,

Did you try this from the Service Portal?  I believe this "Enable also request for" feature only works in the Service Portal and not from the backend catalog view.  Also, is the Catalog Item you have a Record Producer?  The feature doesn't work on Record Producer. 

Thanks,
Jenny 

MateoBilandzija
Tera Expert

Hi Guys,

I would love to have this functionality but im not sure what im doing wrong.

The small button is not showing in any way i have all settings set

Version history
Last update:
‎07-24-2020 05:45 PM
Updated by: