The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark Roethof
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi there,

Several topics came across the Community about the Virtual Agent appearance. Most of them I replied on, though now putting everything together in an article to share with the Community.

In short:

The out of the box branding setup is "a bit" limited. Some colors can be changed, the icon of the agent can be changed, and that's almost it!

The question:

But what if I want a different picture on the Virtual Agent itself? Or the picture being a little bit bigger? Or having the Virtual Agent on the op off the screen or on the left? What about that annoying orange dot floating around the Virtual Agent? What about having the Virtual Agent on every page on the Service Portal?

The end result:

On the right, the out of the box Virtual Agent. On the left, the modified Virtual Agent.

find_real_file.pngfind_real_file.png

Steps to achieve this:

1) Do you want the Virtual Agent only on the main page of the Service Portal or on every page? Out of the box the Virtual Agent widget will be added to the index page. This will have the Virtual Agent on the main page. For having the Virtual Agent widget on every page on the Service Portal, just add the widget to a Footer and attach the Footer to the appropriate theme.

find_real_file.pngfind_real_file.pngfind_real_file.png

2)
If you're not interested in the orange dot floating around the Virtual Agent, you'll have to edit the Virtual Agent widget slightly. On line 16 of the HTML template, just remove:

, 'state-unread': $ctrl.hasUnreadMessages}

3)
Having the Virtual Agent appear a bit bigger, different colors, on the left, etc. is far more work. To illustrate, see the image below. Width and height of the icon have been changed, a border added, changed floating right into left, changed the background image for the icon. Don't want a rounded icon? Sure: see line 42, border-radius. Removing this will make the icon a square.
find_real_file.png

4)
Upon opening the chat with the Virtual Agent, by default previous chat history is shown. You can alter this two ways.
--- Thru the widget, by expanding line 30 of the Client Script
Or
--- Using the Instance options

Summary:

As shown for starters, a lot can be changed to the appearance of the Virtual Agent. Probably a lot more even than I described here! Though be aware, by changing the widget or cloning it and making you're own, you will risk missing out on future updates on the widget. So keep an eye out on that. Between London and Madrid, the widget did NOT change.

---

Hope that this helps some of you! Questions or ideas? Let me know!

đź‘Ť
If this post helped you in any way, I would appreciate it if you hit bookmark or mark it as helpful.

Interested in more articles, blogs, videos, and Share projects on Virtual Agent I published?
Virtual Agent

Kind regards,
Mark

---

LinkedIn

Comments
Piotr Ignaciuk1
Kilo Contributor

Hey Mark,

That's truly flawless and thank you so much for guiding me into your article, here are some thoughts (I'm not that into CSS so those questions might feel a bit dumb)

1. I've tried the footer thing and it does not work in my Madrid instance ( I've checked and the SP Virtual Agent Widget is called sn-va-sp widget instead of what your screenshot shows sqn-va-sp-widget and of course I tried tweaking that but still QT footer is on Service Portal Pages but no widget there)

2. Works fine

3. the CSS code in Madrid seems little different thou I was able to find those lines there. I got a few questions over this:

• VA button positioning might be left or right as shown in your example, how I can change other parameters to place it wherever I want?
  • If I want to add a picture to the button do I simply store it on some file server and paste the url into the code ? like www.something.something/picture.png ?

4. Works fine

I really appreciate your help and effort with this !

BR,

Piotr

Averell
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Mark,

thanks for this description. But I'm running circles because I can not find where Virtual Agent Widget is used originally. I have it in the customer service portal, but can not find on wich page it is included. It's not on the index page. But I don't know how to figure out where it is used. Can you give me a hint?

Mark Roethof
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi there,

Is the widget on all your Customer Service Portal pages? Or just on the index page?

If on all pages shown: probably in the body html template of the header or the footer. If only on the index page, then it should be on the page. Maybe hard to track, because it doesn't have to be added on the bottom right. The out-of-the-box widget is just floating around there 🙂

For example, it could just we added like this, while the widget is actually displayed on the bottom right.

Kind regards,
Mark

---

LinkedIn
Community article list

Krishna73
Tera Expert

Hi Mark,

We have 2 different portals, are using this Virtual Agent widget. My requirement is to provide different contact support details(screenshot added below) for both the portals(ITSM & HRSM).

find_real_file.png

Please let me know how to achieve this.

Thanks,

Krishna

Lener Pacania1
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

very helpful thanks!

amadosierra
Kilo Guru

Hi Mark,

There seem to be another method for adding the widget to the portal by going to Service Portal > Agent Chat. This method seems to be injecting the out-of-the-box widget directly to the portals configured (it does not require to add it to the footer).

When should this method be used vs. adding it to the footer? Is there a difference?

Here's the documentation article as a reference: https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/orlando-servicenow-platform/page/build/service-portal/task/config...

Regards,

Amado

Mark Roethof
Tera Patron
Tera Patron

Hi there,

If it concerns solely the out-of-the-box widget for Virtual Agent, yes since new york you could use the Service Portal > Agent Chat. If you are using a customized widget, what this article is about, for example if you want to change the appearance, then... no go, Service Portal > Agent Chat will not work for you.

Kind regards,
Mark
2020 ServiceNow Community MVP
2020 ServiceNow Developer MVP

---

LinkedIn
Community article list

Peeyush Jaroli
Tera Expert

Hi @Mark Roethof 

Can you please help me with my query on virtual agent mentioned in below question?

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=da42171fdb9c6050190b1ea6689619af

I believe its a bug? or something that we can set in properties?

Regards,

Peeyush Jaroli

Version history
Last update:
‎03-22-2019 06:28 AM
Updated by: