The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tabby Vos
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Application Portfolio Management

Welcome to the Application Portfolio Management (APM) community!  Our goal is to enable your learning, provide rich and relevant content to help your understandings of APM, and most importantly we want to ensure your planned outcomes are successful. 

Learning and Enablement is important and a key part of your success plan because without a full understanding, you might miss the opportunity to take full advantage of all the features and capabilities of each area of APM.

You might have questions such as: How does all this connect together?   What are the workflows I could leverage, how do all these features support an end to end process for my group, where do I start, who should own what parts of ITBM, so many questions to answer as you get started. We are here to help.  Finally, please be sure to click SUBSCRIBE to ensure that you are proactively informed when we post new or updated content.

Learning and Enablement - Training is often overlooked until its needed so we highly recommend starting your training early to ensure you and your teams are fully informed and aware of the feature and functionality of APM.

How to Implement - here are areas to help you learn and connect on all things APM.

• APM Success Map - Download our Success Map to support your journey with Application Portfolio Management (APM). Our overview outlines four stages—Success Foundations, Implement, Run, and Optimize and Expand—that show the processes and best practices you’ll need to implement, maintain, and get maximum value from Application Portfolio Management. *NEW ADDITION*
  • NowCreate Success Pack - The APM Foundation success pack has been created by our Customer Outcomes team to help modernize and optimize your Enterprise Architecture, addressing challenges such as: Unified Visibility of Application & Technology Landscape, Modernization of Application & Technology Strategy and Measurement & Alignment of Capabilities to Strategic Objectives *NEW ADDITION*
  • APM NowCreate Assets - Individually focused NowCreate assets have been created by our Customer Outcomes team to help you self-implement APM!  Search for APM and find Workshop Preparation Guides, APM Process Guides, Process Workshop Presentation, Product Architecture Blueprint, and many more helpful files.  *NEW ADDITION*

General APM Resources - here are areas to help you learn and connect on all things APM.

1. APM Product page - learn all about APM, including features, benefits, resources and interconnectivity.
  2. APM Datasheet - high level overview of the four main pillars of APM.
  3. Customer Success Center - the starting point to define your success path
  4. Product Documentation - Detailed feature information by release
  5. Product Learning and Training - See recommend training above, or click the link to find all the great training available
  6. SPM Community - you are HERE, good place to start to engage with other customer and ServiceNow experts 
  7. Successful Customers - learn from other customer how their success was achieved
  8. ServiceNow Support - having a challenge with ServiceNow, enter a ticket on ServiceNow Support. You will need an ID.
  9. ServiceNow Store - many of the new ITBM features will be delivered via the ServiceNow Store, check it out.
  10. Resource Center - be sure to check out the Resource Center, where you find many additional learning and enablement aids.
  11. Learn about your APM Journey - learn how to measure and calibrate your organization's fitness using the APM Fitness Journey.

Grow and Adopt - Glad you asked because we have a collection of document that will help answer your questions and provided insights into new features and functionality. One of the most frequently referenced documents are what we call Delta Decks. These are detailed deck that explain features by each release, so as you upgrade you can see key feature that might be valuable to your organization. These ITBM Delta Decks can be found at this LINK

Digital Collateral / Upcoming Events -

1. Webinar - Take the pain out of managing your aging IT assets
  2. Webinar (APM):  Leverage Application Portfolio Management (APM) with Common Service Data Model (CSDM)
  3. Webinar (APM with DPM):  APM with Digital Portfolio Management
  4. HighSpot Video - Accenture - Common Service Data Model (CSDM) and APM
  5. E-book - Optimize Your App Portfolio for Better Business Performance
  6. Learning Videos - Short quick videos to advance your understanding of ITBM
  7. Learning Videos (APM) - Common Services Data Model (CSDM) in support of APM
  8. Learning Videos (APM) - APM Scores and Indicators
  9. Learning Videos (APM) - APM Overview
  10. Learning Videos (APM) - APM:  The Big Picture (how does APM fit into the SN applications for managing IT?).
  11. BrightTALK SPM Videos
  12. Product and Customer Summit 2021 - APM Summit  *NEW ADDITION*

Best Practices -

CSDM -

In CSDM V4, we will continue to emphasize the use of Product Models, which is in the Foundations domain.  We won’t have a full Digital Product definition in V4, but will in the future as product teams evolve their use of CSDM.  The first video provide good hints on the complexity of this transformation, and how this will shape up in the next few releases.

Comments
sasas
Tera Expert

Hi @Tabby Vos ,

I need to show the demo to client about why they should use APM. 

Could you please help me out here?

I need total Costing for implementation and more in depth of the APM.

Please give priority to the costing [license cost, maintenance cost].

Any help is much appreicated

Regards,

SASA from India

Tabby Vos
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Sasa!  Please email me at tabby.vos@servicenow.com and I'd be happy to direct you towards demo content.

GChanner
Tera Guru

Hi Tabby,

Great article on Application Portfolio Management and thank you for putting this together. We are implementing APM and would like to deploy and maintain it the right way thus my reason seeking your guidance.

Question: Who should be the owner of APM? Should it be the SN admin team or should it be PMO team.

mcastoe
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi @GChanner,

My name is Mark Castoe, mark.castoe@servicenow.com, and i have taken over Tabby's position as Product Success Manager for APM here at ServiceNow and i am glad to help you with this.

The short answer is ideally, neither one as APM tends to span between Business and IT and is often a part of the Enterprise Architecture practice.  Of course, you may not have that function in your organization so i would recommend the SN admin team especially if they are also the owners of CMDB.  Understanding CSDM and the implications for APM are very important and the Platform teams should be well indoctrinated in CSDM.  

APM is certainly a "driver" for investments and work in SPM and from that perspective the PMO might have a hand in owning APM but that be very atypical.  PMO tends to be focused on work and investment and that does not always work with the APM needs to cross the IT/Business boundaries.

GChanner
Tera Guru

Thank you Mark for the quick response. Your response has certainly help us.

rajivduahyvve
Tera Explorer

2 of the links are not working: NowCreate Success Pack and  APM NowCreate Assets. Please help to fix them.

rajivduahyvve
Tera Explorer

Pre-Flight Checklist - Looking for questionnaire to use before starting the Planning Workshops. 

Version history
Last update:
‎07-25-2023 06:27 AM
Updated by:
Contributors