cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heath Ramsey
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Step 1: Turning on Virtual Agent

The first step to getting Virtual Agent up and running in your environment is activating the plugins in the ServiceNow instance. These plugins can only be turned on if you have a subscription that entitles you to their use.

This article will help you determine which plugins you need to activate in order to start working with Virtual Agent. 

Start Here!: In your instance, navigate to the new Conversational Interfaces > Home page to help guide you on which plugins to activate and which pages to set up based on your desired experience. The home page will dynamically update as you install the Virtual Agent plugin and store apps.

(Click image to zoom in.)

find_real_file.png

The CI Home page refreshes after installing the Virtual Agent plugin to show three possible store apps to install. Once you install the ITSM (and others) Virtual Agent Conversations store apps, the page will refresh to the following:

(Click image to zoom in.)

VictorChen_0-1693700006248.png

Activating Virtual Agent Plugins

Navigate to the Conversational Interfaces > Home page, and install the plugins as mentioned above. Or you can also install the plugins directly by navigating to System Definition > Plugins. 

• Glide Virtual Agent (com.glide.cs.chatbot) - This is the main plugin to be activated. Several other plugins will be activated when this plugin is enabled.
  • Omni-experience Standard Feature set (sn_oe_sfs) - Enables more features on the Conversational Interfaces Home page, the AWA console, and Sidebar.

After activating the Virtual Agent Plugins, check to see that you can access the following screens in your instance.

Navigate to Conversational Interfaces > Virtual Agent > Designer. This is where you can create and manage Virtual Agent topics. (Click on the image to see a larger version)

VictorChen_2-1679709986064.png

Navigate to Conversational Interfaces > Conversational Analytics > Virtual Agent Dashboard. This is where you can view the usage and effectiveness of your Virtual Agent. 

find_real_file.png

Installing ITSM And HR Conversations from the ServiceNow Store

Once Virtual Agent is activated, you can install out-of-the-box conversations for IT Service Management (ITSM) or HR Service Delivery (HRSD). These conversations are provided as a way to get started and to immediately address your high-visibility issues. You can modify the conversations to your specific organization. To install these conversations, navigate to the ServiceNow Store and look for the following store apps.

Again, you need to make sure you have a subscription that entitles you to the specific conversations store app.

ITSM Virtual Agent Conversations - Installs the ITSM conversations for Virtual Agent and supporting NLU model. For more details on the ITSM topics, see ITSM Virtual Agent conversations & NLU Models.

After activating the plugin, navigate to the Virtual Agent Designer. You should see additional ITSM topics. Navigate to NLU Workbench > Models. You should see the ITSM NLU Model for Virtual Agent. 

find_real_file.png find_real_file.png

HR Service Delivery Virtual Agent Conversations - Installs the HR conversations for Virtual Agent and supporting NLU model. For more details on the HR topics, see HR Virtual Agent conversations & NLU Models.

Now that you have successfully activated the needed plugins to support the Virtual Agent, it is time to set up your greetings and publish some conversations and get started!

For a complete list of Virtual Agent-related plugins, see this article: Conversational Interfaces (VA, Agent Chat, AWA) plugins list, by release

Comments
Yasmin
Kilo Guru

Hi, after installing the last plugin Customer Service Virtual Agent Conversations I can no longer access Collaboration > Virtual Agent > Designer. It says "403: External User Not Authorized" in red.

How can I fix this error?
Thank you.

Nabil Asbi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Please open a support case for this issue to investigate it. 

niveditakumari
Mega Sage

Hello Nabil, 

I am getting the same error after installing last plugin Customer Service Virtual Agent Conversations and i am not able to access  Collaboration > Virtual Agent > Designer. 

I am getting blank page : 

find_real_file.png

I am doing this in my personal instance. 

Can you please suggest me how to fix this. 

Regards, 

Nivedita

Nabil Asbi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

please contact customer support to debug the issue.

Shane38
Tera Expert

Hi Yasmin

I got the same same issue after enabling CSM plugin. How did you solve it?

Thanks

D van Heusden
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Please log out of the instance and log back in. That should resolve the issue.

D van Heusden
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

D van Heusden
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Version history
Last update:
‎12-06-2023 04:36 PM
Updated by:
Contributors