Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Twilio SMS and Voice activate speedy on-call scheduling, incident alerts. Notify allows you to integrate with telephony providers such as the Twilio service to manage phone calls and SMS messages from within your instance. 

Here I have implemented a functionality where you can trigger a Conference call and SMS when any P1 Incident is created. Also you can explicitly trigger a call with call the assignment group members by clicking Phone Icon.

Twilio Configuration Needed:

1. You must have an SID and authentication token for an active Twilio account and you can get it by creating account on : https://www.twilio.com/
  2. After creating a Twilio account, as you can see after clicking on Active Number you will get a number, or you can choose between number provided.find_real_file.png
  3. Also, In order to receive a call/SMS, you need to Add your mobile number or callers mobile number in Verified Called IDs and need to verify it.find_real_file.png
  4. Also, as you can see in image, Account SID and Auth Token is generated. Copy that in notepad because we need to add this in ServiceNow account.
  5. You can configure Programmable Voice, SMS within Twilio. I am using trial account so it comes with limited features.

ServiceNow Configuration Needed: 

1. Activate the Notify plugin by going to Plugins
  2. Role required: notify_admin, admin
  3. As you can see in below screenshot, you need to go NotifyTwilio Direct Configuration and then Enter your Account SID and Auth Token which is copied on clipboard or you can find it on Twilio Account Dashboard.find_real_file.png
  4. After adding Account SIDand Auth Token Click, On  “Connected to Twilio” info message as below.find_real_file.png
  5. UI Macro: In order to Show Phone Icon in front of assignment group field. On a Click, it will trigger a conference call to assignment group members.find_real_file.png

You will see below window after initiating a conference call to group members. You can find all call related information in Notify Conference Calls Module.find_real_file.png

6. System Property: This system properties will have SysID of Notify number to use for group conference calls.

7. Script Include: This script include will have a code for triggering a conference call. This script will be called from UI Macros. This script will find group member/ conference call participents, sys_id of conference call number of property groupconfcall.number and set up the outbound calls for all conference call participants.

8. Dictionary Override: Create a dictionary override for Assignment group field and add following attribute: ref_contributions=group_conf_call. This is used for calling a UI Macro which displays Phone Icon.find_real_file.png

Done!!! You are ready to test your functionality. You can deploy attached update set your instance.

References:

1. https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/madrid-servicenow-platform/page/product/notify2/concept/c_Notify2...
2. https://developer.servicenow.com/app.do#!/api_doc?v=newyork&id=r_N-call_S_S_GR
3. https://www.twilio.com/docs/all

Thanks for reading and do comment with your suggestion/improvements if any.

Hope you will find it as helpful. Don’t forget to Mark it Helpful and Bookmark article so you can easily find on your profile.

Thank you,
Abhishek Gardade

Comments
Chavan AP
Giga Guru

Really helpful article, keep it up Abhishek !!

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Thank You Ajay!!!!!

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

Hey,

Twilio Configuration Needed:

3.Also, In order to receive a call/SMS, you need to Add your mobile number or callers mobile number in Verified Called IDs and need to verify it.

Have verified it with my number but it doesn't show.

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

Have verified it with my number but it doesn't show. Its fine right??

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

You must need to verify your number in twilio in order to work.

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

I am actually checking in my personal instance 1st whether it will work or not. Can you please tell whether the email id should be same of personal instance and twilio account

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

I have a doubt here, Sorry for the trouble. Since i just started Servicenow i am having lots of doubts.

This process is not automated right..?? I have to manually on click call button for the callto happen . But I want as soon as an incident is created the call should go to the person so that he can acknowledge.

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

I have done that. will check again.

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

You can make a call as soon as incident raised. For that you can after INSERT Business rule to trigger a call when incident is created. I have provided option to call manually by clicking Call ICon.

Thanks,
Abhishek

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Its not necessary to have same email id.

Vaishnavi35
Tera Guru

So, Configuration of Twilio is not required for this right??

Directly write a business rule??

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

yes we require Twilio integration and as a part of configuring serviceNow in order to use Tiwlio API, we need to write business rule. 

Just go through the links provided. 

johnathan_benne
Kilo Contributor

When adding or removing Twilio numbers you need to "Disconnect" and reconnect Twilio adding the Twilio username and password again. Then verify.

Himanshu22
Tera Contributor

Hi Abhishek

I want to know how we can verify user mobile phone numbers in Twilio if there are many users (say 10000) in servicenow.

Is there any self verify feature available to use?

or anything else that would help in verifying users in bulk.

Regards

Himanshu

AbhishekGardade
Giga Sage
Giga Sage

Hello Himansh,

We have implemented this as POC and verified few numbers only. There are some twilio phone Verification APIs and SDK available. You can have a look at Twilio docs which specify how we can verify numbers at scale.

https://www.twilio.com/docs/voice/api/verifying-caller-ids-scale

Thank you,

Abhishek Gardade

Himanshu22
Tera Contributor

Hi Abhishek

Thanks for the reply..

I checked and i was informed that we don't require to verify phone numbers in the non-trial account.

Also, if you have any REST message to send an outbound SMS, pls. share.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Himanshu

Version history
Last update:
‎09-14-2019 12:21 PM
Updated by: