The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goran WitchDoc
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I ran into this issue by accident and after looking through the community I noticed that I ain't the only one looking for a good solution for this.

The scenario is like this: We made a nice looking end user portal. Either in CMS or the new Service Portal. Now we have links point to the portal by using a suffix like "/ess" or "/sp" or what combination you can come up with. Might even have a special DNS-name like support.goranlundqvist.com pointing to goranprod.service-now.com/support.

The problem occurs when we got curious user that gets creative and want to see where they come when they remove this suffix and just go to "goranprod.service-now.com/" and tada, they are get inside the UI that our technicians are using. And that is something we don't want to happen. I have found solutions like having a UI Script that checks if the user has roles and if not, it redirects, a ui macro pretty much doing the same, a specific homepage showing the users that they are in the wrong spot etc. But no one is happy with the workaround they made.

We all know that ServiceNow got A LOT of system properties and what I think is really annoying is that even if you go through them all at sys_properties.list, you still haven't seem them all. Some of them ain't there OOB and you need to create them yourself to get the magic going.

And I bet you start to see where I'm going here.

There is a property to handle this. To redirect users without any roles. But you need to create it yourself.

So go into the table sys_properties. Press the"new" button and make the record that looks like this:

find_real_file.png

So the name of the property is "glide.entry.loggedin.page_ess" and the value should be the suffix for your portal.

So now if a user without role would go to goranprod.service-now.com it will get redirected automagically to "goranprod.service-now.com/sp"

//Göran

Symfoni Logo Color Box.jpgsn-community-mvp.png

96 Comments