The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Mapping for a Web Application

nikhil_agr20
Tera Contributor

I have a Web Application for which I am doing Service Mapping. I gave the entry point as a httsp URL & started discovery. It discovered the F5 loadbalancer & IIS WebServer. After that it stopped without any error. 

How can I add Application Server & MS-SQL Database server to complete the Map? Attached the map

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

You are going to need to add a connectivity section to the IIS Virtual Directory Pattern that parses the URL out of the config file. Once you do that you should see the next hop IIS server and it may or may not find the database server. If it doesn't then you will have to do something similar in which you will create a connectivity section to pull out the configuration for the SQL server. It will most likely either be in the web.config file (make sure your URLs are correct so they go into the right IIS Website) or some other configuration file that may reference the ODBC DSN setup in Windows (which you can pull from the registry). Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

richardbrounste
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

How is the IIS Web Server application configured to connect to your application server?  What is the application server?  If you go into the discovery log for the IIS Web Server, you will see many connection sections and they all failed because the configuration files they were looking for did not exist or had no connection information.

If there is a configuration file that has the connection information to the application server, then you need to build a dependency section for the IIS pattern that reads from that configuration file and gets the connectivity information.  

Read up on customizing patterns with the pattern designer:  https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/kingston-it-operations-management/page/product/service-mapping/co...

Hi Richard,

From Config File, I am getting a URL. As per Application Owner, when they hit this URL, it connects to another IIS Server which further connects to MSSQL Server. So now, how can a use this URL as an entry point so that using this url, I can capture the Application Server(Another IIS Server) then I have to connect the MSSQL

Hello,

You are going to need to add a connectivity section to the IIS Virtual Directory Pattern that parses the URL out of the config file. Once you do that you should see the next hop IIS server and it may or may not find the database server. If it doesn't then you will have to do something similar in which you will create a connectivity section to pull out the configuration for the SQL server. It will most likely either be in the web.config file (make sure your URLs are correct so they go into the right IIS Website) or some other configuration file that may reference the ODBC DSN setup in Windows (which you can pull from the registry). Hope this helps.

Thanks Robert,

Map is created successfully.