The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group assigns multiple same roles to same user

Wade Clairmont
Mega Guru

I am not sure if anyone has ran into this before, but I am starting to notice several instances of the same role being assigned to the same user by one single group. And when this happens, we can even run ACL debugging against the form/list, as nothing is displayed, not even the typical "Number of rows removed from this list by Security constraints:"   (see pic)

same roles assigned issue.jpg

As well we are starting to notice issues arising from this, ie.   access to time, if the user has more than one assigned role to the same form, then they are not able to see the data in form or even the listing of the data associated to their assignments. (see pic)

HW - Timesheet access issue 02-01-17.jpg

This is all it shows on the list view.   There are over 200 records associated to the user and ACL Debugging is turned on.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?   Perhaps something we have done on setup, or omitted to take care of?   We have been running ServiceNow for about 4 years now, are currently on Geneva and upgrading to Istanbul soon.  

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Wade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

The most common cause is that one rule (e.g. scrum_product_owner for example) includes scrum_user. Add the Inheritance Map and Inheritance count columns to your list.

find_real_file.png

Click the Inheritance Map link in the list row of your choice and you can get a visualization of the roles and how they got there.

find_real_file.png

Note, I believe this requires Helsinki or higher (I may be off by a release.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

The most common cause is that one rule (e.g. scrum_product_owner for example) includes scrum_user. Add the Inheritance Map and Inheritance count columns to your list.

find_real_file.png

Click the Inheritance Map link in the list row of your choice and you can get a visualization of the roles and how they got there.

find_real_file.png

Note, I believe this requires Helsinki or higher (I may be off by a release.)

Thanks Chuck!

In Geneva it does not offer those columns, however, it gave me some insight into the way we had built our groups.   After some review, it seems that we had some "circular references" per say, where groups had ITIL, which contained specific roles, and the groups were also assigned some of those roles in addition to ITIL.

Cleaned it up, and works great!

Thanks again,

Wade

You're welcome.

If I have answered your question, please mark my response as correct so that others with the same question in the future can find it quickly and that it gets removed from the Unanswered list.

If you are viewing this from the community inbox you will not see the correct answer button.   If so, please review How to Mark Answers Correct From Inbox View.

Thank you

Hello Chuck,

I am facing the same issue for Geneva release.. kindly help to get this fixed.

Thanks

Ankitha