The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coaching Loops Open Forum

Robert Fedoruk
Tera Sage
Tera Sage

Oh my brothers and only friends,

I'd like to start a discussion on my favorite module I've been unable to roll out as yet:   Coaching Loops.   Why isn't everyone using these things?   In looking at my past initiatives, and commiserating with friends at another large SN account, we've isolated a few areas where the tool's configuration is either poorly understood by us (its implementors) or has a perhaps overly complicated design.

Is anyone else interested in this topic?

22 REPLIES 22

SimonMorris
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I would definitely be interested in understanding how the tool can be more useful (and ultimately USED)

Some background reading for those who haven't seen the concept

Increasing process performance using feedback loops

Robert Fedoruk
Tera Sage
Tera Sage

I guess the first thing would be to get what ServiceNow's definition and use cases for Disciplines and Opportunities.   A few of us have read the wiki, but when it comes to implementation, it doesn't "feel right".

OK - so there are 3 data models defined by Coaching Loops. The configuration of the "Coaching Opportunity" and the "Coaching Discipline" may (or may not!) result in an "Assessment" being created.

Coaching Opportunity

In any process flow a number of "moments" or "events" occur - in this context I'm not talking about "events" in any technical implementation. Just a "thing" happens in the process.

For example:

• The change is logged
  • The change is assigned
  • The customer is updated
  • The change is closed

Each of this "moments/events/things" could be considered a critical moment in the process. If so you could define a "Coaching Opportunity" for that moment.

For example I could create a Coaching Opportunity for "Change is assigned" which would be fired when the assigned_to field changes on an change.

Coaching Discipline

The Coaching Discipline exists to couple the people acting as Coaches with the people that require Coaching. It also defines which activity the Coach is providing feedback for.

So Coaching Discipline records would exist to associate the "London Change Managers" in the role of Coach with the "London Servicedesk" group in the role of Coachee for the "Change Management" activity.

Assessments

With the Coaching Opportunity and Coaching Discipline defined we should see some assessments being created.

These are tasks assigned to members of the Coaching group that require feedback to be provided. Feedback is sent via notifications to the Coachee.

Hope that helps!

So is it intended that the combination of Opportunity and Discipline could trigger multiple Assessments?