cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making a knowledgebase public

Goran WitchDoc
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I'm struggling here. I wasn't expecting to run into this kind of problem. We have a couple of V3 knowledge bases and want 1 of them to be public. Public in the meaning that users without logging in should be able to search in the knowledge base. The only thing I can find is how to make it "public" so that logged in people without roles can do it.. but that is a crappy extra step for our user. Especially since we are leaving a knowledge tool that doesn't demand login to ServiceNow.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is my solution, not 100% happy, but then again. Hoping it will be solved with the problem at ServiceNow in the near future.

Having knowledge public with v3

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

Erich Zirnhelt
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

We have done this with our own Support and Troubleshooting KB, but I'll need to get one of our developers to provide the details on how we did this with the V3 KB.   I'll come back...

Thanks, really love the help zirnhelt

Now hopefully I can get some sleep here over in sweden while you hunt the developers 😃

Heard anything zirnhelt ? Atm. NowSupport on twitter have helped me to get the "search bar" open for not logged in users. But this is kind of crappy. I need to have the whole Interface so the users can click around categories, look at the featured content etc.. Experience the whole ServiceNow deal so to speak.

It isn't any ACL that is messing with us here?

The answer was more complicated than I'd hoped. When we moved to V3 we had direct help from the application developers to help make it work.

That said, eyalarasu has this suggestion:

1. Go to a Knowledge base, empty the canRead() user criteria — this means, anybody can read the article (all articles within the KB)
  2. Make kb_find.do & kb_view.do pages public
    • Go to 'sys_public.list' and change the visibility property
  3. That's it
    • Go to <instance>/kb_find.do — now any non logged in user can search and view articles

Eyal also mentioned that they expect to document this more formally in a KB article.   We can share that once it's published.

Let us know if you have any concerns or obstacles with this approach.