Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Management: SDLC - SCRUM vs. Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)

Syaharruddin
Tera Expert

Can both application exist and be used at the same time?

In ServiceNow wiki, it explicitly states that both plugin cannot be implemented side-by-side. However, the wording doesn't exist and vague in ServiceNow docs.

If you activated "Software Development Lifecyle (SDLC)" plugin first, and then activated "SDLC-SCRUM" later; the SDLC application disappears and replaced by SDLC (scrum) application. The existing SDLC data however is still intact and visible under SDLC (scrum) since they share some of the same tables.

Would it be as simple as reactivating the SDLC application menu? What would be the side effects or repercussions?

We've used SDLC application for a few years and we're thinking of adopting scrum methodologies. Do we have to choose which path to go or can we have both application in ServiceNow?

4 REPLIES 4

AndresGT1
Giga Expert

I believe you can't have both of them coexisting together, it's better to pick a path. SCRUM has many good sides you should take advantage of.

However, just remember that 'SDLC - SCRUM' plugin is just an improvement to the 'Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)' plugin.

Regards to turn backwards, there is no way to do that at the moment. Once the plugin is installed the only thing you can do is manipulate it.

Hope this was useful to you, if you have any other concerns please let me know.

Dominik Simunek
Giga Guru

Officially they cannot work together. You can have only Release Management v2 coexisting with one of the other three plugins "SDLC" / "Scrum" / "Agile development".

However from technical point of view, each plugin is just building on top of the other introducing some new tables and reusing others. I can imagine to having them working together but that would require checking what was deactivated from the previous plugin after activating the advanced one (especially the troubles could be caused by some business rules that were upgraded and not working as before). Also it would require to decide how to treat tables that are used in both plugins - like rm_product / rm_defect etc. Notice that Release table itself is different in both plugins but extends from base "rm_release" table. Attached is table structure for both plugins where you can see different tables used by both plugins.

SDLC table structure

sdlc.png

Scrum table structure

scrum.png

Dominik,

the broader question here is how one can plan releases in ServiceNow when they are using Scrum? Scrum doesn't know or care about releases, however, one has to create a release in order to create a sprint; which is for me a contradiction as I can develop stories for multiple releases within a sprint. Which opens the question how can one define a release, using stories, without moving them out of an closed sprint, or moving an entire sprint?

Klaus

That's great information Dominik.

Could you please provide table structure for Agile development 2.0

In our project Agile with release is already existing. But we need to use SDLC release as per our requirement.

Can I do that without activating SDLC?  or Should I activate SDLC?