The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check on the status of a table indexing request

Curiously Cory
Kilo Expert

Is there a way to check on the status of a table indexing request? I made the change 6 hours ago and it's still not complete. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Curiously Cory
Kilo Expert

I found the solution thank you to Simon Pullen who responded to my support request. You can find these indexing changes on the sys_schema_change table (nav to sys_schema_change.list). 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SanjivMeher
Kilo Patron
Kilo Patron

Check in System Definition->Text Indexes. Not sure if you can know the status. But if the table is huge, it will take time. 

You can also check System Policy->Event Log. There should be events performing indexing.

Please mark this response as correct or helpful if it assisted you with your question.

SatheeshKumar
Tera Guru

Follow the below steps to find the status of text indexing!

1. Navigate to System Definition > Text Indexes.
  2. Search for and select the index which is not returning results. 
    • If you can't find a record for the table you are indexing, it may that the table is parented by another table such as sys_metadata or task. Text indexes are build against the highest level parent table.
    • If this is for a new index and not a task or system table, the record may not show until the job is scheduled so continue on to verify the status of the Job. 
    • If the state is Indexing go to step 8 to check the event queue processing.
    • If it is not indexing yet the state will say Ready, so we need to check that the Job is scheduled.
  3. Navigate to System Scheduler > Scheduled Jobs > Scheduled Jobs (sys_trigger table).
  4. Search for and open the record for 'text index events process'.
  5. Verify that the state is not Error and that the Next action shows as being in the very near future. This job is normally set to run every 30 seconds unless it has been changed.
  6. That job should be getting processed at 30 second intervals on one of the available nodes. If it has been running for longer than normal it will show up under the Scheduled Workers on the stats.do page of the node it is running on. If you are not a ServiceNow support person you may not be able to access all the nodes to validate this in which case a support engineer can assist in checking this for you.
  7. Once the job is running you can check its progress in the events table. 
  8. Navigate to System Logs > Events.
  9. Filter by Name = 'text_index' and Processing Duration (is empty) and State is not transferred.
    • This will give you a list of text index events which still need to be processed.
    • These are processed chronologically, so if another index or large update to an already indexed table started before the one you are investigating that may be why the index you are concerned with has not completed.
    • You can filter by the Table column and then check the Created times to see which events will be indexed first.
  10. Once all of the events are processed the index should be complete. 

-Satheesh

Thanks, but text indexing is not what I'm looking for. I'm just creating a simple table index, not full text. Simple indexes don't seem to be in either of these locations.

Table => Indexes (related list) => Add Index (button) is the process I used to add the index.

Curiously Cory
Kilo Expert

I found the solution thank you to Simon Pullen who responded to my support request. You can find these indexing changes on the sys_schema_change table (nav to sys_schema_change.list).