The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Start, Go-Live and End Dates. What is ServiceNow's intention?

RyanAshline
Mega Expert

We are having some challenges with dates on our projects, I am hoping the community can help me to understand what ServiceNow's intention is and perhaps any recommendations that we might apply to our practice.

A project has Planned start date and planned end date.
-Planned start date is manually set and updated
-Planned end date is manually set but then is automatically updated based on the farthest out end date of a project task.

The projects planned end date is used to drive the CIO dashboard and the project go live widget.

In order to explain our challenge let me share what the final tasks in a project often look like for us.
May 1st - May 15th ---Staff Training
May 17th - May 17th---Go Live
May 17th - May 30th ---Command Center Hyper Support Period
June 10th - June 10th --- Lesson's Learned Meeting
June 11th - June 11th --- Project Closed

If I build a project with post go-live tasks then my project end date moves to the project end date, not the go live. I am sure you see the struggle because we very much want the CIO roadmap, and the go-live widget to show the date that really matters, the date our leadership and customers care about and that is go-live not post go-live activities.

If ServiceNow see's the planned end date as the go-live which is evident in their widget called project go-lives. How does one handle post go-live activities that are an important part of a project?
I appreciate anyone's thoughts in advance.
Ryan

1 REPLY 1

RyanAshline
Mega Expert

We figured out how to overcome our challenge and how the go-live widget and CIO roadmap work.

This is what we did.

We added a field on the project table and called it "Go-Live" and placed it on our project from in between Planned Start and Planned End Date.

find_real_file.png

This is a date only field as we are not concerned with the time when it comes to a project, the associated change control has that level of detail.

When you open the CIO roadmap under the timeline visualization application, there is a field called Panel Table and Panel date.  Panel table was already pm_project, however, panel date was set to planned end date.  Now after we created our new date field it appears in the selection drop down.  It looks like any date field on the pm_project table will appear.

find_real_file.png

find_real_file.png

Now what was interesting is the Project Go-Live widget that to my knowledge you can not edit, is not hardcoded to the planned end date but actually drive off of the panel date that is selected in the CIO roadmap.

find_real_file.png

So it was a simple fix, create a new field, add it to the form, and change the panel date in the CIO roadmap.

Now to get project Managers to update this field....