The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I use Agile Development or SDLC(scrum)?

richelle_pivec
Mega Guru

I'm reading the Agile Development wiki article (Istanbul version), and I notice that it keeps flipping back and forth between doing something in the Agile Development application or doing something in the SDLC(scrum) application. I believe that Scrum is the process and can be used as the tool, and Agile Development is a tool that uses the process.

Here is my scenario:

My director wants us to use the Scrum process for one of our upcoming ServiceNow projects (converting our CMS portal to Service Portal).

So, I am playing in our Dev instance trying to figure out the hierarchy levels and how they all work together. I found both of the applications there, and, for a while I thought I should be using the Agile Development application because it appears to have Scrum + more. But, now I am about a third of the way through the wiki article where it has a sample procedure for creating a theme. And, the first instruction is "Navigate to SDLC(Scrum Process)>Planning>Themes."

The sample procedure right after that (Creating an Epic) has that step saying, "Navigate to Agile Development>Planning>Open Epics..."

So, now I'm confused.

So, which do you use? Which should I use if this is something we might go forward with for other IT projects after this "pilot."

Thanks for any insights on this.

Richelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you're just going to use it for one project, use SDLC(scrum. That will give you basic functionality including Sprints & Stories. If you are going to use this for multiple release, multiple projects going at same time, switch to Agile.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael Fry1
Tera Sage

Here's a thread that explains it pretty well: Release Management: SDLC - SCRUM vs. Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)

Just because I use Agile doesn't mean it's right for you.

I had read that thread, but it didn't really make sense to me. I have that as a separate application too. So, I actually have all three of them: SDLC, SDLC(scrum), and Agile Development. I figured from the other thread that it narrowed it down to two...and given what was displaying in the Applications and the Wiki article, I narrowed it down to Agile Development or SDLC(scrum).

I'm leaning towards Agile Development, but don't want to make a mistake as this will determine the direction we go with scrum.

thanks,

Richelle

If you're just going to use it for one project, use SDLC(scrum. That will give you basic functionality including Sprints & Stories. If you are going to use this for multiple release, multiple projects going at same time, switch to Agile.

Agile it is then. While this is just one project, I imagine my director is planning to use it for other projects going forward.

Thanks,

Richelle