The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once problem is set to resolved, all the associated incidents should be set to resolved

Rahul Kumar5
Tera Contributor

hi,

Once problem is set to resolved, all the associated incidents should be set to resolved

please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

richelle_pivec
Mega Guru

There is an out of the box business rule on the Problem Table. (Maybe they do something different if you start with a newer version, but this is what we have and we've been with SN since the beginning.)

The Business Rule is called: SNC - ITIL - Close Related

Order: 999

Run At Server

When to Run: After

Insert: Checked

Update: Checked

Advanced Script:

if (current.problem_state.changesTo(4)) {
   closeRelatedIncidents(current);
   closeRelatedTasks(current);
}

// 
// Close any incidents that are related to the current problem
//
function closeRelatedIncidents(me) {
  var incident = new GlideRecord("incident");
  incident.addQuery("problem_id", "=", me.sys_id);
  incident.query();
  while (incident.next()) {
    if ( incident.active == true ){
      var msg = "Incident " + incident.number + ' closed based on closure of problem '+me.number;
      gs.print(msg);
      incident.incident_state.setValue(6);
      incident.active.setValue(true);
//      incident.comments = msg;
      incident.u_resolution = msg;
      incident.update(); 
    }
  }
 incident.close();
}

You may have to change your State Values to correspond to how yours are set up...for us, 4 is "Resolved" on Problem an 6 is "Resolved" on the Incident. We also keep Active = True until our SDAs change the Incident State to Closed...so that is why incident.active.setValue(true);

I hope that's helpful.

Richelle

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

A_Cadaret
Kilo Guru

So, there's not a lot to go on here. How are the incidents associated with the problem? If there's a reference field, then you'd set up a business rule for the problem table that fires onUpdate to query all incidents with the sys_id of the problem in whatever field is being used.

Then you'd use a while loop to iterate through the record that were turned up, change their state, and update them.

richelle_pivec
Mega Guru

There is an out of the box business rule on the Problem Table. (Maybe they do something different if you start with a newer version, but this is what we have and we've been with SN since the beginning.)

The Business Rule is called: SNC - ITIL - Close Related

Order: 999

Run At Server

When to Run: After

Insert: Checked

Update: Checked

Advanced Script:

if (current.problem_state.changesTo(4)) {
   closeRelatedIncidents(current);
   closeRelatedTasks(current);
}

// 
// Close any incidents that are related to the current problem
//
function closeRelatedIncidents(me) {
  var incident = new GlideRecord("incident");
  incident.addQuery("problem_id", "=", me.sys_id);
  incident.query();
  while (incident.next()) {
    if ( incident.active == true ){
      var msg = "Incident " + incident.number + ' closed based on closure of problem '+me.number;
      gs.print(msg);
      incident.incident_state.setValue(6);
      incident.active.setValue(true);
//      incident.comments = msg;
      incident.u_resolution = msg;
      incident.update(); 
    }
  }
 incident.close();
}

You may have to change your State Values to correspond to how yours are set up...for us, 4 is "Resolved" on Problem an 6 is "Resolved" on the Incident. We also keep Active = True until our SDAs change the Incident State to Closed...so that is why incident.active.setValue(true);

I hope that's helpful.

Richelle

Dubz
Mega Sage
Mega Sage

It depends how you've set up your instance but OOB problems don't have close codes which are a mandatory requirement on the incident form. If you automate the closure of all child incidents you'll either have to assign a default close code like 'closed by problem' or leave them without a close code which could affect reporting.

My preference would be to communicate a work around to all child incidents so they are notified that the problem has a solution, close the problem as normal and then the various incident managers can close their incidents with the correct close codes.

If you definitely want to implement this then take a look at the OOB on the incident table that closes child incidents called 'update child incidents' the method is in there, you can adapt it for problem.

EDIT: i stand corrected, there is OOB rules to close related tasks. My views on why not to use them stand though 🙂

David Cote
Kilo Contributor

We just implemented ServiceNow (Rome) in June, 2022. Is there a recommended best practice when closing a Problem ticket? Should all the Incidents "auto close" with a reason code from the Problem ticket? If so, what are the OOB steps to implement?