The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Ticket creation through REST API Method

Jagadish10
Mega Expert

Hello All,

I'm trying to achieve ticket creation through emails from external address to ServiceNow through REST API Method.

Explanation: When an email is sent to ServiceNow, it should automatically create a ticket and capture the user info using the "FROM" address field. Most of the details should be captured in the incident or request form and also the ticket should be routed to the assignment group based on the CI mentioned in the email body.
Please advise.

Regards

Jagadish

23 REPLIES 23

Dave Smith1
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding to my query.
Yes, this can be achieved using inbound email actions. However, we are in the process of replacing this using REST API.

REST API is something new, so I wanted to get some help here. I did go through some of the release notes of Jakarta which explains about using the Web services. However, I'm not able to start with the content provided. Please note that I'm an amateur in Java Scripting.
Appreciate your help.

Regards
Jagadish

It sounds like you're wanting to call a REST API instead of sending an email from your 3rd party service. Note, Inbound Email Actions and the REST API function differently.

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for responding to the query.
Yes, I want to call REST API to get my task done but I don't know where and how should I start. I'm new to working with API's. I have worked with inbound email actions to create tickets. But now we want this to be done by using REST API.

As I mentioned earlier to Dave, I have just experimented to see how POST, PUT, GET and DELETE work and apart from that. I haven't done much.

I want to know how REST API's can be used here to create tickets by end users?
What would be the source from where users can send their query and that in turn is processed by REST API and tickets are created ?
Also, will the attachments be attached using this method ?

Please guide me wherever you can and If there are any articles or documents that can help me get started, please provide the links of those as well.

Thanks in advance.
Jagadish