The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyone using the Project Task Related Lists 'Predecessor of' and 'Successor of'? Is that compatible with Gantt Chart?

marcelorsc
Kilo Expert

When I use the Gantt chart to make a Task a Predecessor of another Task, that operation works fine on the Gantt Chart.

http://wiki.service-now.com/index.php?title=Gantt_Chart

However, the 'Predecessor of' / 'Sucessor of' Related Lists are not updated. The reverse is also true, if I use the Related List (Predecessor of / Successor of) my Gantt chart is not updated.

I recreated the scenario below also on the demo instance - https://demo08.service-now.com

Please see PRJ0010001. The project has 3 Tasks - PRJTASK0010002, PRJTASK0010008 and PRJTASK0010010

I made PRJTASK0010002 Predecessor of PRJTASK0010008 using the Gantt Chart. Gantt is up to date but I do not see the data on the Related Lists

I also made PRJTASK0010008 Predecessor of PRJTASK0010010 using the Related Lists but I do not see that reflected on the Gantt Chart.

I would expect consistency between the Project UI and the Gantt Chart.

Prior to Aspen we used to have a Related List called 'Predecessors' instead. Does anyone know why that went away after Aspen and what the differences are now?

Thank you,
Marcelo R. S. Correia
Principal Business Consultant
EMC Corporation

3 REPLIES 3

amullendarby
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I am now a trainer for the PPM class and ran into this same problem. I am bumping this to see if new activity might generate a response.

robpickering
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Unfortunately, the related lists on Project task for "Successor of" and "Predecessor of" aren't what you think they are, they're actually "execution_plan_local.predecessor", and "execution_plan_local.successor" respectively.   They are not project tasks.

The related lists you probably want are:

Planned Task Relationship -> Parent and

Planned Task Relationship -> Child

However, these also aren't intuitive, as they're related lists of the relationships, not the actual tasks.

So, clicking "New" within these lists will create a new relationship, not a new Project Task.

To my knowledge, there are no related lists that will show, and allow creation, of Project Tasks themselves that will automatically establish the relationships (which is what you'd want).

-Rob

kellykaufmann
Mega Guru

In Fuji, I use the 'Dependency' column in List View of a project to have it show the dependency. Does this work for you?