The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the "incident query" Business Rule be customized without causing a licensing implication?

carlh
Kilo Guru

Hi All,

We're looking for a way to give NON FULLFILLER Application or Business Service Owners an overview of the incidents where their product is being reported.

Support helped me find a Business Rule that limits those without the ITIL Role from seeing Incidents that were not created by them.

"incident query" is an out of the box business rule.   Here's the script.

if (!gs.hasRole("itil") && gs.isInteractive()) {

var u = gs.getUserID();

var qc = current.addQuery("caller_id", u).addOrCondition("opened_by", u).addOrCondition("watch_list", "CONTAINS", u);

gs.print("query restricted to user: " + u);

}

My hope is to add in a condition where if the user is part of the "Configuration Item.Support Group", they can see all of the incidents and be able to comment on them.   They're not assigned and they are not assigning anyone in ServiceNow.   All I want is for them to see the same Self Service view as anyone else...but not ONLY where they are the requestor.

Does it make sense and should that cost me licenses?

I look forward to your feedback and advice.

Thanks,

Carl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Carl,

Proceed with caution. The current licensing (as of November 2016) is roughly stated that an end user (requester) is only allowed to view and make minimal updates (e.g. comments) to records they "own" (e.g. incident caller.) Access beyond that requires a fulfiller license. By opening up the before query business rule you are granting them view access to other records which goes against this. The same is true for reporting.

Always check with your sales representative if you have questions about licensing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

carlh
Kilo Guru

Another thought, Rather than revising that script, could I add the group to the watch list?   I think the script above allows self service users to see if they are on the watch list.   If the group could be added, the condition on the gauge I am trying to show would be Watchlist = whatever group...

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Carl,

Proceed with caution. The current licensing (as of November 2016) is roughly stated that an end user (requester) is only allowed to view and make minimal updates (e.g. comments) to records they "own" (e.g. incident caller.) Access beyond that requires a fulfiller license. By opening up the before query business rule you are granting them view access to other records which goes against this. The same is true for reporting.

Always check with your sales representative if you have questions about licensing.