Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMS - ESS Portal

jonmulherin
Giga Expert

Hello, we are brand new to ServiceNow and just went live on Fuji in early September.   A contractor developed our ESS Portal for us.   The issue we have follows:

1. User on ESS searches the KB.  

ESS KB Search.PNG

2.   The results appear, showing matching Tasks, Live Feed, Policy, People & Places, and Knowledge & Catalog.   The URL is https://xylem.service-now.com/ess/search_results.do?sysparm_search=outlook.

3.   Outlook, my original search term, is already in the search field of the displayed page.   Whether I change it or not, once I hit the search icon to the right of the field, I am brought to an out of the box page we don't want our end users seeing.  

ESS Initial Results Page.PNG

We want them to stay within "our" ess portal.   The URL of the page displayed is https://xylem.service-now.com/ess_oob/search_results.do?sysparm_search=outlook.  

ESS Secondary OOTB Results Page.PNG

How would we go about changing this?

Thank You,

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, I can reproduce what you are experiencing oob Fuji and believe I know the cause.   The first search displays results correctly using the search_results page specified in the custom Site record.   The second global text search is (incorrectly) displaying results using the Search Page specified on the Content Management > Configuration > Configuration Page (Content Management Administration - ServiceNow Wiki).   If you drill into this Search Page, I think you'll find it's pointing to the oob Site record.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Manjul Katare
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi,

Could you please make sure that you have a separate page "search_results.do" for your new site ?

I tried to reproduce this issue by simply creating a new site with just a home page. And my home page has the header called "Portal Header" and some content in the body part. Now when I search on header using a new site, the search result appears on <Instance_Name>/ess/search_results.do?sysparm_search=test. Since I do not have a similar page for a new site it goes to OOB search_results.do page.

If this is the case, please create a new page with the name "search_results" under the new site you created.

Hope this helps!

-Manjul

Manjul,

Thank you so much for the response.   I've played around a little more with this after receiving your note and this is what I have found.

1. We do have an ess/search_results.do page in our site.
  2. If I go to ESS and type outlook in the KB search box and do a search I see the URL is …/search_results.do?sysparm_search=outlook
  3. If I then click the search icon to the right of the search box on that page, I am brought to the ess_oob/search_results.do?sysparm_search=outlook which is the out of the box page we don't want our end users to see.   Bullets 2 and 3 are as described in my original post.   If you will note in my original post, point 2, search_results.do is in the URL.
  4. If I then just type the following in the address bar, https://xylem.service-now.com/ess/search_results.do, I go to the same page I saw in step 2 above, but of course there is nothing in the search box.
  5. If I then type outlook in the search box and click the search icon, I see the page end users should see when clicking that icon.   https://xylem.service-now.com/ess/textsearch.do?sysparm_ck=4273f3254f768a00acbe01b28110c765b2392985a...
  6. So, if we can figure out how to get the icon to take the user to textsearch.do when the search icon is clicked, and using outlook as the search criteria example, so the URL the user is taken to is https://xylem.service-now.com/ess/textsearch.do?sysparm_search=outlook we would be all set.

Now I just need to figure out, or hopefully get information from you or one of the other experts reviewing this post, how to make this happen.

Thanks again for your response.   It is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Reviewing the original post, I'm wondering how you went about creating your custom site.   Best method is to clone or copy the out-of-box Employee Self Service site using the Copy button which allows you specify a new Name for your custom site   That new name gets used as a prefix for all the site elements that get duplicated (Creating a Site - ServiceNow Wiki).

Instead of modifying the out-of-box search icon/link, check to ensure you have a search_results content page associated with your custom CMS Site.   You can do this by navigating to Content Management > Pages then filter the list on URL suffix is search_results.   Results should show the out-of-box page (search_results) associated to the out-of-box content site (Employee Self-Service).   Ensure there is one for your custom content site and if not, use the Copy button on the out-of-box page to create one for your site (Creating a Content Page - ServiceNow Wiki).

As our site was created by a consultant I don't know the method used to create it, but as stated in my response to Manjul we do have a search_results page in our site.   In viewing it, it looks exactly the same as the OOTB search_results page with the exception of the Content site field.   OOTB has Employee Self-Service and ours has the name of our portal.   When I do a search from the Search the knowledgebase box from our portal, the link shows, what is indicated in point 2 of my original post.   This shows we do have a search results page.   For some reason though, when on that page and clicking the icon to the right of the text box, as displayed in the second image in my original post, it takes the user to the ess_oob search_results page.   Can't figure out why.