The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitions between stages in SLA management

Andrew Pishchul
Giga Expert

I feel like I miss something...
I didn't find any documentation where the default SLA stages explained — Breached, Achieved, Starting, In Progress, Canceled and Completed.

I found the page, which describes SLA transitions (http://wiki.servicenow.com/index.php?title=Modifying_SLA_Condition_Rules ), but it says nothing about "Achieved" and "Breached" stages.

Does anybody know where to get more details on that stages how to work with them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

The breached/achieved are available if backwards compatibility is important to you (e.g. you're an existing user, you've got lots of reports using those values, or you just prefer that style of display. etc.)

The problem with them was that there is no easy differentiation between breached ("but still on-going") and breached ("SLA has now finished") - you need to also look at the 'active' flag of the SLA record to see that.

The June 11 release made the "2011 SLA Engine" available, and that will maintain a 'has_breached' flag on the SLA record. For new installations (or, if you choose to do so by setting the property), it also offers an alternative SLA state model where the terminal state is always "Completed" (or "Cancelled"), and an active SLA is always "In Progress" or "Paused". This avoids the confusion of two states with the same name, and cuts the tie between the SLA state model (as maintained by the conditions) and the breached state (now easily indicated with the 'has_breached' flag)

All that aside, what do you have in mind for "how to work with them"?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lawrence_eng
Administrator
Administrator

Does the information below help?

http://wiki.servicenow.com/index.php?title=Service_Level_Agreements#SLA_Definition
http://wiki.servicenow.com/index.php?title=Service_Level_Agreements#Demo_Walkthrough

If not, I'll check with our Documentation team.

I found that "Breached" and "Achieved" stages regard to old business logic/functionality, which is obsolete since 2011:

"Before June 2011 Preview 2, breached SLAs would set the Stage field to breached. By default, the 2011 Engine sets the Stage field to In Progress, shaded red to indicate the breached status, and sets the Has Breached field to true. "

is that correct?

Not applicable

The breached/achieved are available if backwards compatibility is important to you (e.g. you're an existing user, you've got lots of reports using those values, or you just prefer that style of display. etc.)

The problem with them was that there is no easy differentiation between breached ("but still on-going") and breached ("SLA has now finished") - you need to also look at the 'active' flag of the SLA record to see that.

The June 11 release made the "2011 SLA Engine" available, and that will maintain a 'has_breached' flag on the SLA record. For new installations (or, if you choose to do so by setting the property), it also offers an alternative SLA state model where the terminal state is always "Completed" (or "Cancelled"), and an active SLA is always "In Progress" or "Paused". This avoids the confusion of two states with the same name, and cuts the tie between the SLA state model (as maintained by the conditions) and the breached state (now easily indicated with the 'has_breached' flag)

All that aside, what do you have in mind for "how to work with them"?

Now all is clear, thanks a lot!