The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Algorithms names used for 1 way and 2 way encryption password

ansari
Giga Contributor

Hi Guys,

Just for security concerns i wanted to know which mechanism or algorithm names are using for Password(1 way encrypted and 2 way encrypted). Could anyone please tell us the algorithm names used for Password(1 way encrypted and 2 way encrypted).

Thanks.

Mumtaz Ansari

4 REPLIES 4

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I don't see it in the product documentation (docs.servicenow.com) nor in any of my notes. It pre-dates my days at ServiceNow. 

I recommend reaching out to customer support. I’ll be interested to hear what they have to say. Please be sure to report back here with your findings. — Thank you

HI Service Portal - ServiceNow

Contact Support | ServiceNow

ansari
Giga Contributor

Thanks Chuck!!

I have already raised a HI ticket and I ll post back once i got reply.

ansari
Giga Contributor

Here is reply from SerivceNow Support team.

Password (1 Way Encrypted) Text field that stores passwords with one-way encryption. One-way encryption stores the password as a secure hash value that cannot be decrypted.
Password (1 Way Encrypted) is using either of the three types.

Password (2 Way Encrypted) Text field that stores passwords with two-way encryption. Two-way encryption stores the password as a secure encrypted value that can be decrypted programmatically within the instance. You can use Password 2 encryption with form variables. To encrypt text fields on forms, use Encryption Contexts. The length for password2 field values must be at least 255 characters.
Password (2 Way Encrypted) is using 256 AES.

Encryption key :

Key used to encrypt the data. Leave this field blank to randomly generate a key. Based on the desired type of encryption, enter the exact number of characters:

24 characters for 3-key Triple DES
16 characters for AES 128-bit
32 characters for AES 256-bit (requires system configuration)

Please check further details on setting up encryption contexts:

https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/kingston-platform-administration/page/administer/encryption/task/...

How can secure hash use encryption key? This is what I found in web.

find_real_file.png