cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workflow timer fired on update record!?

georgechen
Kilo Guru

Hello folks,

I am having a timer question in a workflow. Recently we have implemented a new workflow based on Problem Task table which has two timers, 24 hours before due_date (expiring) and 1 business day after the due_date (expired).   The assigned_to user receives notification about the warning.

The workflow works like a charm on a new Problem Record. e.g when a new PT with due date set to Friday 4/3/19 9:00am, the user receives the expiring notification on 3/3 9:00 (24 hours before it dues), however, for an existing Problem Task the expiring timer (24 hours before due) got fired when another user close this PT (In Progress to Completed, Active to Deactivated).   The history of the PT calendar shows the event was fired off upon record update.

find_real_file.png

find_real_file.png

The event was fired off when the PT was updated,

find_real_file.png

The workflow incorporates two timers and two 'Create Event'

find_real_file.png

wondering if the timer was fired off based on business rule, and the actual timer settings?

Any advice would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mayank_agarwal
Kilo Expert

Hi George,

Currently there is no way for workflow to know whether the Problem task has ended or not after timer finishes.

There can be two solutions to this:

1. You can explicitly cancel workflow when you are closing task.

2. You can add an if condition in front of Create Event task which will check if the task still active. If it is, you can go ahead and create event; if not you can end the workflow.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

vant
Tera Expert

I think unless the workflow is concluded or cancelled, it may still keep running. You may want to enter an exist condition in there in the event you close the task before the timer runs out.   Is the workflow continuing even when the PT is completed, or is it automatically stopped, or doesn't stop and continues anyways?

Hi Van Thanks for your advice and attention.   I am testing the timer on a closed PT.       On Wednesday I created a test PT due date on 9:00AM Friday, and yesterday 9:00 (24 hours before it dues) I received the notification, and I have just closed this PT so I can see if I receive the other one 1 business day after Friday 9:00am

find_real_file.png

Keep you posted later

Regards,

mayank_agarwal
Kilo Expert

Hi George,

Currently there is no way for workflow to know whether the Problem task has ended or not after timer finishes.

There can be two solutions to this:

1. You can explicitly cancel workflow when you are closing task.

2. You can add an if condition in front of Create Event task which will check if the task still active. If it is, you can go ahead and create event; if not you can end the workflow.

Hi Mayank

Your advice is much appreciated, I am rectifying the workflow via adding a If Check Condition before Create the Events so the flow finishes if the PT is already completed.

Still need to test this after the change, and will let you know if this works.