cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve the performance of home page

kambleneeta20
Giga Expert

Hi All,

In some user's home page few 5-6 dashboard/reports have been set and whenever they are login in to Service now they are facing performance issue.

Could you please suggest how to improve the performance ?

4 REPLIES 4

Anurag Tripathi
Kilo Patron
Kilo Patron

First things that comes to my mind

• Don't display all legacy data . Display just enough to give an idea of the current scenario.

• Then you can recommend not to put many gauges in 1 dashboard, all from heavy tables.

• Add smart filters on the reports
-Anurag

sergiu_panaite
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Starting by enabling, as admin user, of Debug Homepage Render. Then impersonate the user with slow homepage and see how long each dashboard/report takes (debug mode will display under each widget the time taken). Once you've identified which report is slower you can run the report directly (enabling Debug SQL before is a good way of catching a slow SQL if the case) and seeing how long it takes. You might need to play with report conditions/filters to make if faster.

Regards,

Sergiu

syedfarhan
Tera Guru

HI Neeta,

1)Do not keep auto refresh for every 5 to 10 mins it may take few seconds to load   all the application so ,this may cause performance issue.

2)if the report runs slowly, look for and correct these common reporting mistakes:

i)Returning too many results

ii)Grouping by fields such as duration or name

iii)Reporting on a user-created table that uses many joins on other table

Homepages are mostly built out of reports, gauges, lists and other fancy items which don't always benefit the speed when loading ServiceNow.

As soon as you open your homepage all the reports, list and gauges are running to retrieve information and this takes time. I have often seen users use complex homepages which take a long time to load but don't contain data that they need frequent.

My advice is to keep your homepage clean and effective. Ask yourself, which information is important when you load your homepage, and which is not? I have created several homepages with reports that I only check once a week/month and which don't have to appear on my default homepage. My default homepage only shows 4 list of information on which I need to take instant action when they appear on the dashboard. I was able to reduce the load speed of my homepage with the split of my homepages based on needs.

You can monitor the performance change when addition new information on the bottom. When you open the homepage you can look at the number behind "Response time(ms):" and this displays the total time to load your homepage. When you add or remove an item you can compare the time it takes to load and decide if you really need it. You can also choose to show it in a different format (list, chart, etc) to improve performance.

Thanks

Please consider the following order to debug the issues:

1) As Sergiu mentioned, please turn on "home page debugging" to identify the issues.

2) Troubleshoot the reports separately one by one.

Please consider configuring parallel home page rendering and homepage caching.

Thanks.