The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Re-Open a Closed Change ?

Not applicable

I incorrectly closed the wrong change request. I thought there would be a "re-open" button on the Change page, but turns out I was wrong again. I've checked with my SysAdmin and I've been told that it's "not possible to reopen a change after it's been closed". As a developer it's hard for me to imagine the application is really built to not allow a Change to be re-opened.

Can anyone please provide me the steps to re-open a closed Change ? Or perhaps more correctly, can anyone please provide me the steps or point me to documentation I can give my SysAdmin so that the application can be configured to allow me (or at least some "superuser type") the ability to re-open a Change ?

Thanks in advance !

Jeff

2 REPLIES 2

Mark Stanger
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Jeff,

There's nothing in the default system setup for change management that says you can't re-open a closed change request. All you have to do to re-open a closed change request is change the 'State' field and re-save the change.
Having said that, the change process at your organization may not allow for it and the standard config may have been changed considerably to not allow it. There may be back-end workflow, approvals, and tasks that have been set up that won't reset correctly if the change moves from a closed back to an open state. This setup would be specific to your organization so your admin may be telling you the truth. You could certainly modify the setup to allow for it, but there's not a step-by-step guide since it would depend on your custom process and config.

mattberan
Tera Contributor

The real question I have is how you would be allowed to close the wrong request, it sounds to me like that security should be changed. Create a business rule that only allows the correct approval agent to close it.

If you give us a little more insight to your organization and/or process we could probably provide a better solution either through process or tool changes.