The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incident handover procedures

mitzaka
Mega Guru

Hi SNC,

In our organization we are currently supporting a service, which is 24/7, as we have people in several places worldwide. We have adopted the ITIL approach, but of course customized to our needs. Often it happens that incidents need to be handed over form one work shift to another. Currently we do this by a warm handover, we have a call where we have people from the passing side and the receiving side. This works for us apparently, but due to the fact that the incident is not actually assigned to the receiver in the moment of the call, sometimes we have delays in this assignment and even cases where the incident stays in the person who was passing it.

We do not wish to place hard restrictions over people, the best case scenario will be for the receiving side to be self-motivated to assign the incidents right after the handover call.

I was wondering if someone has experience in supporting 24/7 services and using some model for handover procedure. I just want to gather some cool ideas and good practices.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Becky,

I was a lone voice in this conversation, so in the after some research I put it up myself. Absotely happy to share it with you.

Our case was - we are running a private cloud with 24/7 coverage and we needed to handover incidents (mainly P1-P3s), so that the work over open issues does not stop. For the work transfer itself, we agreed on having so called "handover calls", which take place at each end of the workday for the passing side (respectively start of workday for the receiving side).

Technically, here's what I did to capture all this in the tool.

First, I created a Homepage dedicated to the Handover - it's selectable, as the idea is during the handover calls the engineers to look at this page and discuss/update records there. This guarantees that the passing and receiving side are an the same page with the work. We used to have the issue of things not being taken on time by the receiving side, so now the agreement is that the actual handing over happens DURING the call, by interacting with the Handover homepage content - after agreement over the phone, the receiving engineer just clicks on an incident and reassigns it to him/herself. I designed the homepage to include various things like:   a queue with the incidents which are marked for handover, report for current open incidents, change calendar, comments log, ets. Here is how it looks like:

find_real_file.png

And second, I added to the incident form a checkbox field , called "Needs Handover" - the idea is that when an engineer works over an incident, before the end of his shift and the handover call, he can mark incidents for handover if he wishes. As soon as he does that, the incident is automatically added to the Queue in the Handover homepage, which I mentioned above. This way whenever someone opens the Handover homepage, they will see what is pending handover.

find_real_file.png

Of course, it took some training and guidance around starting to use it, but we have been running this for several months now and it works great for us, as it gives us a centralized venue of where handover happens. Also we guarantee that the incidents are being handed over in agreement and on time. And it's good for keeping history record.

That's in short:) Let me know if I can help you more on this.
Cheers!
Dimitar

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mitzaka
Mega Guru

I'm actually thinking of setting up a homepage, where I will have dashboards containing info about open tickets, aging and so on. So bacisally people who are on the handover call will be able to look at this homepage and make changes to the tickets (reassign) as they speak.

Evening,

Did you ever get a reply from this? in the same situation with a 24/7 helpdesk. Need a concise and structured way that works when handing over incidents to each shift so incidents are not lost in the ether.

Hi Becky,

I was a lone voice in this conversation, so in the after some research I put it up myself. Absotely happy to share it with you.

Our case was - we are running a private cloud with 24/7 coverage and we needed to handover incidents (mainly P1-P3s), so that the work over open issues does not stop. For the work transfer itself, we agreed on having so called "handover calls", which take place at each end of the workday for the passing side (respectively start of workday for the receiving side).

Technically, here's what I did to capture all this in the tool.

First, I created a Homepage dedicated to the Handover - it's selectable, as the idea is during the handover calls the engineers to look at this page and discuss/update records there. This guarantees that the passing and receiving side are an the same page with the work. We used to have the issue of things not being taken on time by the receiving side, so now the agreement is that the actual handing over happens DURING the call, by interacting with the Handover homepage content - after agreement over the phone, the receiving engineer just clicks on an incident and reassigns it to him/herself. I designed the homepage to include various things like:   a queue with the incidents which are marked for handover, report for current open incidents, change calendar, comments log, ets. Here is how it looks like:

find_real_file.png

And second, I added to the incident form a checkbox field , called "Needs Handover" - the idea is that when an engineer works over an incident, before the end of his shift and the handover call, he can mark incidents for handover if he wishes. As soon as he does that, the incident is automatically added to the Queue in the Handover homepage, which I mentioned above. This way whenever someone opens the Handover homepage, they will see what is pending handover.

find_real_file.png

Of course, it took some training and guidance around starting to use it, but we have been running this for several months now and it works great for us, as it gives us a centralized venue of where handover happens. Also we guarantee that the incidents are being handed over in agreement and on time. And it's good for keeping history record.

That's in short:) Let me know if I can help you more on this.
Cheers!
Dimitar

This is brilliant... i love the thinking behind this!!

good to know others are in the same situation lol

Really appreciate you sharing what you have done.. .:-)