The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know, that ACL scripts are running even the advanced flag is set to false?!?!?!!!!

Zod
Mega Guru

After got trapped by an ACL that did do something I was not expecting ... I found out, that the script in the acl was executed even the advanced flag set to false.

As this is a true/false field and not an ui action to show/not show the script, this is absolutely not what I expected and none of my peers knew this.

Also the ServiceNow Support was obviously not aware of it ....

Developement Statement:

"..., the developer has confirmed that this is an expected behavior. The Advanced checkbox just controls the visibility of the script field. At the time of ACL execution, we check the script field. If it is populated, we will execute it as part of the ACL evaluation.

utely"

From my point of this is critical .. especially as we are talking about ACLs! And for sure not consistent ... and somehow servicenow more and more starts to look like cobbled solutions like Martix or HP ...

Not a good developement from my point of view ;-(

17 REPLIES 17

mahmoudhabiball
Giga Contributor

Well, the docs indicate the following:

"The Advanced option must be selected to write Business Rule scripts. The scripting fields are in the Advanced section."

I can see more Advantages of the current implementation than disallowing running script if the advanced Option is not being shown.

Zod
Mega Guru

For this purpose an ui action could be used .. as in other parts of the system ...

First intention for sure for most users is, that it would not run if not marked.

Did cost a lot of time on our side due to this misunderstanding .. and as even the support denied initially that I'm wright ... as he also expected the script not to run ... it obviously is not ok from an User Experience point of view ...

I understand your Point.

Just be Aware the   Advanced check box makes other opions possible. For instance the When and the Order under on the "When to Run" Tab

I am talking about ACLs!!! Not the advance in the Business Rule ... OMG ... you are right. Hope very much the logic is different there ... ! Will check!

If not   .. clearly this is a bug ... what ever the developer tell me ...