The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choice Field Options Limit

Priya84
Mega Contributor

What is the maximum limit for options that can be created for a choice field.

I have created more than 50 options for a choice field  in CRM UI, still i am able to create choices/options.I want to know is there any limit in creating options for choice field.

If we can set limit for number of choices/ options ,please suggest where to set the limit in CRM UI.

3 REPLIES 3

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Theoretically, there's no technical limit, however I recommend as a best practice to avoid going beyond 10-15 for user experience. Nobody likes long lists. Think of those web forms where you have to pick your state or country (and you live in United Kingdom.) Scroll-scroll-scroll- oops wrong one. Try again.

If you find you need more than 10-15 and don't have an extremely good reason for using choice list/dropdown UI, consider using a reference field to a custom table. The added benefit is that you can include additional attributes beyond just label and value.

Hello Chuck,

I'm getting this requirement very frequently to add multiple choices under dropdown variable (I'm using Select Box) on catalog item form which is not referenced to any table. But as you said it is not a best practice to add more than 10-15 values in select box variable, and I also don't have option to refer to any table or I cannot add new table for every new catalog item. Can you please help me what would be the best possible solution to achieve this, I'm writing the exact requirement below:

Need to create two variable -

1) Category - This has 10 dropdown values

2) Subcategory - It has more than 100 dropdown values for subcategory and that depends on category selected (Based on category value selected only related subcategories needs to be shown).

Regards,

Akshay

Chuck Tomasi
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

FYI - A response to this post was featured on the Community Live Stream video. I invite you to watch the episode.

Video: Community Live Stream - 2019-10-24 - Developer Community - ServiceNow Community