Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Status vs Hardware Status on Hardware CIs

Mike McCall
Mega Guru

I've got a simple question that doesn't seem to have a simple answer: should I have workers use [install_status] or [hardware_status] on my Hardware CIs? (i.e., those CIs that extend the [cmdb_ci_hardware] table)*

To get the discussion started, I'll lay out some factors I'm currently considering:

1. Install Status is available on all CIs, so views, reports, etc. can all be simpler and more consistent. Point for Install!
  2. Install Status does not have a Substatus for being more specific (and closer to the choices available to Assets). Point for Hardware!
  3. On Hardware CIs, the default "AssetAndCISynchronizer" Script Include (sys_script_include.do?sys_id=9ec37b411b012000e49bfbcd2c071380) does not sync Install Status changes to connected Asset records. Point for Hardware!
  4. ...?

*I can't remember who the individual was--I would have contacted him!--but I vividly remember a ServiceNow employee swinging through a past Knowledge session and saying definitively, "Only use Install Status! Hardware Status was a mistake!" However, since uncovering just how deep this "mistake" goes in the system's default setup, I'm not sure it's so simple.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bsweetser
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Michael,

That was probably me, though I'm not sure I said it with the exclamation points.

Hardware status is pretty much a remnant of the time before we had true Asset Management and were trying to do Asset Management within the CI records, which is why I recommend ignoring it. It pretty much replicates the Asset State information, which is also why you see it synchronize more consistently.

Assets typically have more different States/Substates. Before you give points to Hardware Status for having Substatuses, what more do you feel you need for CIs that Install Status doesn't give you? Keep in mind, that the non-active portions of the lifecycle would be covered by the Asset State/Substate.

I am expecting the ability to easily configure Asset State/CI Status synchronization in our Helsinki release and can show you at K16 if you will be there.

Ben

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

bsweetser
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Michael,

That was probably me, though I'm not sure I said it with the exclamation points.

Hardware status is pretty much a remnant of the time before we had true Asset Management and were trying to do Asset Management within the CI records, which is why I recommend ignoring it. It pretty much replicates the Asset State information, which is also why you see it synchronize more consistently.

Assets typically have more different States/Substates. Before you give points to Hardware Status for having Substatuses, what more do you feel you need for CIs that Install Status doesn't give you? Keep in mind, that the non-active portions of the lifecycle would be covered by the Asset State/Substate.

I am expecting the ability to easily configure Asset State/CI Status synchronization in our Helsinki release and can show you at K16 if you will be there.

Ben

Hi Ben

you may want to post your session details. That helps us blocking time for that

Thanks

Sashi

bsweetser
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Sashi,

My lab is Under the Hood with Company Assets 101. It runs at K16 three times:

1. Tuesday, May 17 from 10 am - noon
  2. Tuesday, May 17 from 3:50 pm - 5:50 pm
  3. Wednesday, May 18 from 10 am - noon

If you are unable to join a lab, we could schedule a time meet at the community booth on the expo floor.

Ben

Thank you Ben, will either stop by or take part in the session.