The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restrict view of application module based on an attribute?

robpickering
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

I would like to restrict visibility of an Application Module based on an attribute on the sys_user table, rather than by role.

Is that possible?

I know I could create a new role and assign it to everyone I need to, but I'd prefer to use an existing attribute "u_is_manager" on my sys_user table.

-Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK here is some example code that may work for you.

1. Add a new field to the sys_app_module table called Visibility (u_visibility in the database).   In my example I made it a choice with 3 values: manager, nonmanager, both.
  2. Set the appropriate values on the modules according to your requirements.
  3. Create a new business rule: System Definition\Business Rules
  4. Name: Navigation Query - or whatever you want to call it
  5. Table: Module (sys_app_module)
  6. Check Active and Advanced checkboxes
  7. When to Run: Before
  8. Check Query Box
  9. Script See below

if(!gs.hasRole("admin") && gs.getSession().isInteractive() && gs.getUserName() != "guest"){

var qc = current.addQuery('u_visibility', "both");

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', '');

if (gs.getImpersonatingUserName() != null) {

gs.getSession().clearClientData('navQuery');

}

var navQuery = gs.getSession().getClientData('navQuery');

if (navQuery == null) {

var isManager = gs.getUser().getRecord().getValue('u_is_manager');

if (!isManager) {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', 'nonmanager');

gs.getSession().putClientData('navQuery', 'nonmanager');

} else {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', 'manager');

gs.getSession().putClientData('navQuery', 'manager');

}

} else {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', navQuery);

}

}

Explanation of the above:

• Before query business rules are like ACLs where they can restrict access to data.   They are basically filters that are applied when a user does a query.
  • This code doesn't run if you have the admin role, if this is a web service (nonInteractive), or if the user is guest (meaning the login screen)
  • So the query doesn't run all the time, I am putting the Is Manager value into a Session variable called navQuery and use it instead of the lookup each time
  • It adds filters for the Visibility setting first and then I check to see if an admin user is impersonating someone and if so I am clearing the Session value
  • If the session value isn't set, it does a lookup to see if the user is a manager or not and sets the appropriate condition and sets the session variable.

Hopefully this makes sense.   Please reply if not as I am happy to answer questions.   I am traveling a little this week so my responses could be delayed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kalaiarasan Pus
Giga Sage

not sure if that's possible currently ...

Michael Ritchie
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

This is definitely possible and something I have done.   Unfortunately I don't have time to provide detailed specifics at the moment, but to summarize the solution you utilize a before query business rule on the sys_app_module table.   What I had done was created a new field on the sys_app_module table called "Visibility" and had a few choices such A, B, Both.   Then in the before query business rule I looked up a value from the user or some other record to know which visibility choice to use and either filtered the modules appropriately.

Here are some example before query business rules:

Useful Task Scripts - ServiceNow Wiki

I will post some example code later.

OK here is some example code that may work for you.

1. Add a new field to the sys_app_module table called Visibility (u_visibility in the database).   In my example I made it a choice with 3 values: manager, nonmanager, both.
  2. Set the appropriate values on the modules according to your requirements.
  3. Create a new business rule: System Definition\Business Rules
  4. Name: Navigation Query - or whatever you want to call it
  5. Table: Module (sys_app_module)
  6. Check Active and Advanced checkboxes
  7. When to Run: Before
  8. Check Query Box
  9. Script See below

if(!gs.hasRole("admin") && gs.getSession().isInteractive() && gs.getUserName() != "guest"){

var qc = current.addQuery('u_visibility', "both");

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', '');

if (gs.getImpersonatingUserName() != null) {

gs.getSession().clearClientData('navQuery');

}

var navQuery = gs.getSession().getClientData('navQuery');

if (navQuery == null) {

var isManager = gs.getUser().getRecord().getValue('u_is_manager');

if (!isManager) {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', 'nonmanager');

gs.getSession().putClientData('navQuery', 'nonmanager');

} else {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', 'manager');

gs.getSession().putClientData('navQuery', 'manager');

}

} else {

qc.addOrCondition('u_visibility', navQuery);

}

}

Explanation of the above:

• Before query business rules are like ACLs where they can restrict access to data.   They are basically filters that are applied when a user does a query.
  • This code doesn't run if you have the admin role, if this is a web service (nonInteractive), or if the user is guest (meaning the login screen)
  • So the query doesn't run all the time, I am putting the Is Manager value into a Session variable called navQuery and use it instead of the lookup each time
  • It adds filters for the Visibility setting first and then I check to see if an admin user is impersonating someone and if so I am clearing the Session value
  • If the session value isn't set, it does a lookup to see if the user is a manager or not and sets the appropriate condition and sets the session variable.

Hopefully this makes sense.   Please reply if not as I am happy to answer questions.   I am traveling a little this week so my responses could be delayed.

Rob Pickering, curious if the above code addressed your requirement?