The Now Platform® Washington DC release is live. Watch now!

Help
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service catalog wizard, to use or not to use

vibee
Kilo Expert

Hi,

In my research to build a service catalog for my company, I came across wizards and using them to build an order guide.

The Ootb order guide in the catalog is not sufficient in terms of how steps it has before checkout.

It was noted on the wiki page for Wizards, that for any type of goods or services ordering it is recommended we use service catalog and not creating a wizard.

Can anyone explain to me exactly why it is not recommended?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We talked with Servicenow, decided not go with the Wizard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Brad Tilton
ServiceNow Employee
ServiceNow Employee

Hi Vibee,

It's been a while since I've used a wizard, but I remember that there is some catalog functionality that they're not compatible with. At some point ServiceNow moved away from wizards and they were considered legacy, so I don't think the functionality would be receiving updates. Also, wizards don't appear to be supported in Service Portal in Helsinki OOB.

A_Cadaret
Kilo Guru

I actually got my start in ServiceNow by creating wizards for use in a service catalog. We found them most useful when collecting information about a service that was to be provided, rather than actually ordering items. I can tell you that wizards are much more "touchy" than order guides, and there are more details that you can get wrong. Additionally, the Order Guide UI is more user friendly.

Wizards still work, its just specifically for ordering items that the new functionality is recommended.

What is it specifically that you're trying to do that order guides won't do ?

[Edit:] And apparently they don't work OOB with Service Portal, so that's an important consideration if these need to be accessible from your portal.

vibee
Kilo Expert

Bascially, What I need to do is split up the "describe needs" page.

We have a lot of variables to list and they do not want user's to scroll up and down to fill it out.

Ideally they want a 3 page "describe needs" portion and then a rule base portion and checkout

The first questions I would ask:

Can any of these variables be filled out with information that already exists within the system? If so, do they need to be displayed?

Can you use any UI features (containers, showing/hiding fields) to shorten the number of fields?

From a UI standpoint, users are generally used to vertical scrolling due to the advent of mobile devices. What we generally want to avoid is horizontal scrolling.