2 Replies · Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 3:16 PM by Tonya Antle

CI Rate Cards and Rate Card Costs - How to Correctly Use Them

Hello,

I'm opening this thread to get some more clarification on how to use the Cost Management application, and more specifically how to correctly use Rate Cards, CI Rate Cards, Rate Card Costs, and Expense Lines. Overall, the goal is for us to be able to capture the operational costs for running a particular device for a period of time such as a month or year. To further clarify, we are not trying to capture the acquisition cost, but rather how much it costs to operate a particular device based on its configuration such as the number of CPUs, the number of cores, the amount of memory, the amount of storage, the amount of disk space, antivirus software, and monitoring agent to name a few. We already have this data in spreadsheets and in a local SharePoint site, but we really want to bring it into ServiceNow.

I have started playing with the Cost Management application as well as Rate Cards down in DEV, and I have a few question or two. The main question I would ask is, can we have generic rate card costs that we can apply to multiple CI Rate Cards. For example, there would be a Rate Card Cost associated with Antivirus Software. It doesn't appear that I am able to have this cost be applied to two or more separate CI Rate Cards. When I try to add it, it removes it from one card and adds it to the other. Another good example would be Memory. There is a Rate Card Cost associated with the number of CPUs. Say I have two different configurations of a Windows Server, both have 1 CPU but one configuration has 1 GB memory and the other has 2 GB memory. The cost associated with the CPU for both server configurations is the same, but it looks like I would need to create two CI Rate Card Cost records, one to go with each type of configuration. Why is this the case?

We were thinking that we could have generic Rate Card Costs which would contain the base cost for a single unit of memory, for one CPU, etc. We would then be able to apply the Rate Card Cost to multiple CI Rate Cards which had different configurations. How we would account for this is to create a multiplier that would get us the correct dollar amount based on the unique configuration.

The issue here is that for Virtual Servers if you take into account the number of CPUs and the amount of memory we have a minimum of 200 different types of configuration. If you take into account the other costs associated with devices and include the different configurations for physical servers there would surely be close to 1000 different configurations if not more. To me, it looks like maintaining the CI Rate Cards and the associated costs would be a maintenance nightmare if we had to account for every single configuration. With having generic Rate Card Costs and having a multiplier we were hoping to make the creation and management of Rate Cards much for effective and efficient.

So could we make it to where we have generic Rate Card Costs or is that out of the question?

Also, if we add a multiplier, where would we want to add that logic, at the Rate Card Cost level or at the CI Rate Card level?

• Re: CI Rate Cards and Rate Card Costs - How to Correctly Use Them
          Denee Harris

Hello Darrin

I was wondering if you figured out how to use the Rate Cards etc? If so can you give me an update, on how your using it? If not, can you probably repost this thread in the whole Project Management Suite then maybe someone will answer.

thanks

Denee

• Re: CI Rate Cards and Rate Card Costs - How to Correctly Use Them
            Tonya Antle

I am creating very similar functionality where I have over 500 virtual machines.  I want to track actual CPU and Gb each month, which may change month to month.  I ended up creating a distribution rule and writing my own script to multiply # of Cpus x Cost of each CPU.  You are absolutely right - it's not possible to manage hundreds of rate cards for all the different configurations with VM's.

Let me know if you figured out how to do this a different way.

My next problem is trying to figure out how to get the expenses loaded into the Cost Transparency module so that I can use them in a showback statement.  Any ideas how to do this?