3 Replies · Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 6:48 AM by Chuck Tomasi

Can a user with user_admin role add new ITIL users?

Good Morning!
      I am trying to find a role that will suit many departments within our governance allowing them to manage their employee base within servicenow without having to go through our department. We are trying to give them control over their users without having too many admins in the kitchen.  Would the role user_admin fit these needs??ssi

Much love and appreciation for your time reading this!

~Lorena

• Re: Can a user with user_admin role add new ITIL users?
          Vinoth Murugan

Hello Lorena,

Yes, user_admin role is enough to adding ITIL users. Normally role will be granted by adding a specific group which has ITIL role.

You have to check the create ACL of sys_user_grmember table and I have checked in my instance and user_admin role was mentioned over there and they will be having access to add user to the group until if it is not customized.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Chuck Tomasi

Hi Lorena,

Short answer - yes.

I just tried this by granting a user user_admin and that user was able to apply roles (including itil) to other users.

--Chuck Tomasi
            --Sr. Technical Product Marketing Mgr, Now Platform
            --Join me on the Community live stream (most) weekdays at 8:00AM ET
            --https://youtube.com/user/servicenowcommunity

Chuck Tomasi

Footnote, best practice suggests adding users to groups. They'll inherit the roles of that group. It makes it much easier to manage the roles as users are added/removed from groups. If you apply a role to a user and they change positions in the organization, it is likely they will retain those roles after the transition.

--Chuck Tomasi
              --Sr. Technical Product Marketing Mgr, Now Platform
              --Join me on the Community live stream (most) weekdays at 8:00AM ET
              --https://youtube.com/user/servicenowcommunity