5 Replies · Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 10:05 AM by Antin Selvaraj

How to give superusers control of dependent keyword lists?

The application has some choice fields like so:

Header 1Header 2
      CategoryProduct, Store setup, Training, Shipping, Inventory
      SubcategorySize issues, quantity issues, Quality issues, Shrink
      DivisionHardgoods, Softgoods
      SubdivisionAthletic, Youth, Outdoor

Subcategory has a dependent field relationship with Category, and Subdivision with Division. So "Subcategory::Shrink" might be dependent on "Category::Inventory".

Problem #1: Subcategories, divisions etc get added/removed/renamed a lot. So we'll get a request to rename 'Category::Inventory' to "Category::Stuff", and we have also to update the dependency for "Subcategory::Shrink" to "Category::Stuff".

Problem #2: Superusers cannot update the keywords.

So I want to hand maintenance of the keywords, and of the relationships between them, to the users.

It seems clear the first step is to set the various keywords up as Reference fields, one table per keyword, and only one column, Name|name. So:

x_42999_store_comm_categories

x_42999_store_comm_subcategories

x_42999_store_comm_divisions

x_42999_store_comm_subdivisions

But I'm not clear on how best to declare relationships between, for example, a Category and one or more Subcategories. I want to to say "For this sys_id, here are the related sys_ids in table X". I need to do this in a way that:

-- will be usable by superusers (it has to look fairly intuitive)

-- can be exposed on a module

-- can be interrogated by reference qualifiers

Can anyone suggest?

• Re: How to give superusers control of dependent keyword lists?
          Antin Selvaraj

What do you mean by superuser role? Do you mean Admin or any Manager role?

Problem #1: Subcategories, divisions etc get added/removed/renamed a lot. So we'll get a request to rename 'Category::Inventory' to "Category::Stuff", and we have also to update the dependency for "Subcategory::Shrink" to "Category::Stuff".   --> This is well handled by ServiceNow. You just need to change the label, and the relationship between 'Category' and 'Sub Category' are not impacted

But I'm not clear on how best to declare relationships between, for example, a Category and one or more Subcategories. I want to to say "For this sys_id, here are the related sys_ids in table X" - This is handled by parent - child relationship and shown as Related Lists.  Create Table A, and create Table B with a field which has reference to Table B. Create Related List to show the parent-child records.

can be exposed on a module - What do you want to be exposed as a module? every table / child tables created can be created as modules with ease.

Please refer the below URL to understand how to create related lists and module.

Creating Defined Related Lists - ServiceNow Wiki

Create a module

Thanks

Antin

PS: Hit like, Helpful or Correct depending on the impact of the response