1 Reply · Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 5:58 PM by Nathan Giere

How to pass value from an UI macro to a variable

Hi Everyone

Before starting I would like to emphasize that I am new to servicenow, however I am very enthusiastic about learning this powerful tool.

The first challenge that I have is about to know how to pass a value from an UI macro to a variable.

I have defined the below two fields in the service catalog.

The "Request Type:" field has defined around 8 values, I had to use a macro because the length of the values.

Values:

• eSIR Member Accessibility (choose for visual, hearing, motor accessibility issues)
      • Opt Out Request (choose for non-member, member to no longer receive communications from ESI, or do not solicit)
      • Pharmacy Help Desk eSIR (Pharmacy Helpdesk Agents choose for claims, copay, deductible, out-of-pocket, drug coverage issues)

I would like to know how can I pass the value from the "Request Type:" macro field to the "Request Type from UI Macro" variable using an OnChange script

In addition to this,  once I am able to pass the value from the macro to the variable, I want to display certain fields.

Example:

if "Request Type from UI Macro" = "SIR Member Accessibility (choose for visual, hearing, motor accessibility issues)"

The below field should be visible

• Member Number
      • Member DOB
      • Member First Name
      • Member Zip Code

Thanks in advance for your support, any help would be appreciated

Fabian GR

• Re: How to pass value from an UI macro to a variable
          Nathan Giere

an onChange script can only reference a variable created through servicenow. I suggest creating a servicenow variable and doing it that way. not sure your reason for creating a custom ui macro for this. however, if this is not an option. you can create a onLoad Client script and add event listeners to watch your custom ui macro and set your value that way. I do not think this would be supported however in service portal.

- Please like or mark as correct/helpful as you see fit.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,
          Nate