6 Replies · Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 1:09 AM by admin reg

Failed to detect the operating system on host

Hello.

I get error when I'm trying to build map with Service Mapping:

Failed to detect the operating system on host: x.x.x.x. Active, now Classifying. Check for appropriate credentials.

Right click on the warning icon and select Show discovery log to see more details

Credential is correct and host is discovered but not displays as a part of the Service.

How can I fix this error?

• Re: Failed to detect the operating system on host
          Adil Rathore

Can you check the operational status of the CI. Does it have the status as Operational?

Please mark as Answered if your query is resolved.

Berny Alvarado

Hi,

Try doing a quick discovery of that host. Troubleshoot by the discovery log and what you get back within the ecc queue.

Thanks,

Berny

Berny Alvarado

Also, here goes a couple of additional advices that could be helpful:

a) make sure your CI is within an operational state

b) validate if the CI you're discovering is behind a load balancer pending to appear within the map. If so, you will need to include the management ip of that load balancer

c) If it's network device, keep in mind to include the list of MID Server IPs within the ACLs of your network devices

Thanks,

Berny

Berny Alvarado

One final item:

d) validate your CI currently exists under the CMDB under the right class. I have seen prior ServiceNow ServiceMapping versions discovering & reclassifying a CI which was imported as server into what it should be (a Windows Server for instance). After manually switching the class of the CI, things started working just fine.

I hope all this helps!

Thanks,

Berny

admin reg

Thanks for reply.

Service mapping can't establish connection to TCP 8182 port(vmware).

Discovery of this host has been done. On Discovery log I see the error:

The following ports are not open: 80(http), 5986(winrm), 5985(winrm), 135(wmi), 427(slp), 5989(wbem), 5480(vmapp), 9443(vmapp), 137(wins)

But CI has been created and no one errors were.

After rediscovering Service mapping displays the error:

Failed to detect the operating system on host: X.X.X.X. Rule 1: Searched on <cmdb_serial_number> for attributes: serial_number, serial_number_type: Match. Right click on the warning icon and select Show discovery log to see more details

Operational status of CI is "operation".

Could you please explain me how can I manually switch the class of the CI? I use Helsinki release and I think it can resolve the problem.

Perhaps I should create a new vmware class and create a new pattern?

Marlos Barroso

Try to run a quick discovery against the host you are getting this error from via Service Mapping. What phase (shazzam, classification, identification, exploration) do you complete for the quick discovery and is there any additional log data under the Discovery Log for the Status record.