30 Replies · Latest reply on Sep 15, 2017 1:15 AM by Shishir Srivastava

Retrieving records from a reference table

Im retrieving two columns fields with values for the Category and subcategory fields from table categories... In a separated process, I find the unique values for the choice field Category

and I am able to populate the unique values...... Now in the form I will like to populate the subcategory base on the selection of category field value....

the code

var SubCategoryFields = Class.create();

SubCategoryFields.prototype = Object.extendsObject(global.AbstractAjaxProcessor, {

subCategoryFields: function() {

var array = [];

var gr = new GlideRecord('u_categories');

gr.addQuery('u_category',this.getParameter('sysparm_category')); +++++++++++++++++++ this instruction fails..... the parameter value is a integer (0,1,2,3) send by the client script.

How can I pass this instruction by filtering out the subcategory of the category selected.

gr.query();

while(gr.next()){

var obj = {};

obj.subCategory = gr.getValue('u_subcategory');

gs.addInfoMessage(obj.subCategory);

array.push(obj);

}

return JSON.stringify(array);

},

type: 'SubCategoryFields'

});

• Re: Retrieving records from a reference table
          Sanjiv Meher

Are you sure, you are querying the right table? 'u_categories' should be storing the categories and not sub categories.

var SubCategoryFields = Class.create();

SubCategoryFields.prototype = Object.extendsObject(global.AbstractAjaxProcessor, {

subCategoryFields: function() {

var array = [];

gr.addQuery('u_category',this.getParameter('sysparm_category')+''); +++++++++++++++++++ this instruction fails..... the parameter value is a integer (0,1,2,3) send by the client script.

How can I pass this instruction by filtering out the subcategory of the category selected.

gr.query();

while(gr.next()){

var obj = {};

obj.subCategory = gr.getValue('u_subcategory');

gs.addInfoMessage(obj.subCategory);

array.push(obj);

}

return JSON.stringify(array);

},

type: 'SubCategoryFields'

});

Thanks,
          Sanjiv

Please Hit like, Helpful or Correct depending on the impact of the response

michael ocasio

This is a customize table which I populated with two columns fields such as

Category        subcategory

Fruit               Orange

Fruit               Banana

Vegetables     Potatoes.

the above script, should return a query base on the category, the problem is at  gr.addQuery('u_category',this.getParameter('sysparm_category')); it returning false therefore the query fails... 

michael ocasio

Well first on loading the the category fields (choice type) gets populate it with unique values.....

in this case : fruits and Vegestables   ---- - two objects....

this part on change on form category field changes it triggers the above include script call from a client script passing the value of the category field selected by the user.... this is a numeric value (0,1) for this example... it is in the addquery that fails ..... do not know why

michael ocasio

function onChange(control, oldValue, newValue, isLoading, isTemplate) {

if (isLoading || newValue === '') {

return;

}

var getSubcategoryFields = new GlideAjax('SubCategoryFields');

getSubcategoryFields.addParam('sysparm_name','subCategoryFields');

getSubcategoryFields.addParam('sysparm_category', g_form.getValue('categoryexample'));

getSubcategoryFields.getXML(populateFields);

function populateFields(response){

var answer = response.responseXML.documentElement.getAttribute("answer");

answer = answer.evalJSON();

alert(answer[0].SubCategory);

g_form.clearValue('subcategoryreference');

var i;

for (i = 0; i < answer.length; i++)

{

g_form.addOption('subcategoryreference',i,answer[i].SubCategory);

}

}  

Shishir Srivastava

Can we try in this way since you need to get subcategory,

client script:

var getSubcategoryFields = new GlideAjax('SubCategoryFields');

getSubcategoryFields.addParam('sysparm_name','subCategoryFields');

alert(g_form.getValue('categoryexample')); //Let's see what it alerts

getSubcategoryFields.addParam('sysparm_category', g_form.getValue('categoryexample'));

getSubcategoryFields.getXML(populateFields);

function populateFields(response){

var answer = response.responseXML.documentElement.getAttribute("answer");

var answers = answer.split(',');

alert(answers[0]);

g_form.clearValue('subcategoryreference');

for (var i = 0; i < answers.length; i++)

g_form.addOption('subcategoryreference',i,answers[i].SubCategory);

script include:

var array = [];

gs.log('category :' + this.getParameter('sysparm_category')); //Let's check what is logs.

gr.addQuery('u_category', this.getParameter('sysparm_category'));

gr.query();

while(gr.next())

array.push(gr.getValue('u_subcategory'));

return array;

Thank you!

Regards,
                    Shishir Srivastava

PS: Your feedback (Like, Helpful or Correct) helps community

michael ocasio

it returns numeric values such as (0,1,2 which correspond to the field value in the choice field...

Priyanka R

Hi Michael,

Good Day

I can understand that from the view that back end value of the category is 0,1,2 and the display value is like (fruit, vegetable).

Hence while you GlideRecord the table, in the addQuery you can pass the value of category (0,1,2).

It should works, as the category on the form is also refers to category table.

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Priyanka R

michael ocasio

If I hardcode the parameter that im trying to pass from client such as this

gr.addQuery('u_category','Fruits');

for gr.addQuery('u_category',this.getParameter,'sysparm_category'));

AND i also comment out the parameter that Im passing from client

I am able to populate two values in the subcategory..... so the problem is this statement

getSubcategoryFields.addParam('sysparm_category',g_form.getValue('categoryexample'));which translate to a numeric value instead of the label of the choice field therefore failing gr.addquery expecting the label.

michael ocasio

two fields

u_category        u_subcategory

No I dont used it as reference , it was my originally intention.... what I want is to populate these two choice fields in the form.

michael ocasio

Thank you all ... I change the value Im passing too when I am populate the category fields from another script....

g_form.addOption('categoryexample',i,answer[i].category);

g_form.addOption('categoryexample',answer[i].category,answer[i].category);

that did it all.....

in the back end script

gr.addQuery('u_category',this.getParameter('sysparm_category')); this return true and it queries the subcategories base on the category pass from client side as parameter,...

One note.... although is a GlideAjax function is takes a hit in performance..... in loading the categories (16 rows) in the Onchange of subcategories (the most are 12).

michael ocasio

I also noticed sometime the subcategory does not get populate...... I do clear out the control choice field before populating the field. I do not understand while sometimes works and sometimes dont. I being thinking probably these categories and subcategories content could be maintain outside the application,

choice table contains all choice fields define....... so when there is a requirements to change a category I could probably update this table instead of the local one I have in the application. Is there a better way to do this....

michael ocasio

Just learn one side effect of using g_form.addOption it will trigger the onchange event on the client form.... So you need to check at the beginning you event outcome. so I added...

if (isLoading) {

return;

}

if(isLoading)

return;

clearOptions();

if(newValue == '')

return;

else

{

doby of populating the subcategory choice fields..

}

I believe GlideAjax is getting fire before the function call clear the options then populating the choice field and then getting clear out by the clear function...

Is there a way sync this..?

michael ocasio

I did and loads and sometimes it does not load the subcategory choice fields.

michael ocasio

I look into this but this is a different user case would you agreed,..... you are defining subcategory as a reference type..... so I wen thru the dictionary and change the type of subcategory as reference and created a new include script and deactivated the other two......this is the script.... the configuration is. I also left subcategory as a dependent field of category. I get the whole list but the is not filtering based on the category field.

var BackfillSubcategoryChoiceFiled = Class.create();

BackfillSubcategoryChoiceFiled.prototype = {

initialize: function() {

},

BackfillAssignmentGroup:function() {

var gp = ' ';

var a = current.category;

//return everything if the subcategory value is empty

if(!a)

return;

//sys_user_grmember has the user to group relationship

var grp = new GlideRecord('u_categories');

grp.addQuery('category',a);

grp.query();

while(grp.next()) {

if (gp.length > 0) {

//build a comma separated string of groups if there is more than one

gp += (',' + grp.subcategory);

}

else {

gp = grp.subcategory;

}

}

// return Groups where assigned to is in those groups we use IN for lists

return 'sys_idIN' + gp;

},

type: 'BackfillSubcategoryChoiceFiled'

};

Shishir Srivastava

Can you please with below code:

var gp = [];

if(current.category.toString() == '')

return;

var grp = new GlideRecord('u_categories');

grp.addQuery('category', current.category);

grp.query();

while(grp.next())

gp.push(grp.sys_id.toString());

return 'sys_idIN' + gp;

ans also have new in your javascript code, like

javascript: new BackfillSubcategoryChoiceFiled().BackfillAssignmentGroup();

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thank you!

Regards,
                                        Shishir Srivastava

michael ocasio

It work.....Just that when selecting the subcategory it wont be assign to the reference field. why?

michael ocasio

So what I need to do.... do I need to re-create the table categories. I was under the impression servicenow takes care of this..... implicitly every row in table categories which is made of category subcategory for values such as vegetables Potatoes. this row has a sysid assigned.

it will defect the purpose if I can select the row from the table and be assign to subcategory field,,,,,, although if i hover the view of the field it shows assign the value selected. thanks for the help

michael ocasio

What Im saying if I click on the reference button it brings the proper subcategory base on the category field selected but when I select the row if wont get assig to the form field (subcategory),

Shishir Srivastava

What does it show? and you have told when you hover it then it shows the details. Looks like the display value is not set properly on u_category table. Can you please check if that's correct?

Open the table through System Definition -> Table and then open the table and please check what field is set for display?

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thank you!

Regards,
                                                Shishir Srivastava

michael ocasio

Absolutely right. thanks