46 Replies · Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 2:48 PM by Sean Hamilton

NEW CIS Exam pattern

Hi,

I registered for the CIS exam but got a cancellation email as the current CIS exam is getting deprecated from next month,

Now I am looking for the new blueprint as the exam is now divided based on the module as you see in below screenshot.

Does anyone have access to partner portal to share the exam's blueprint?

Thanks

Gaurav

• Re: NEW CIS Exam pattern
          Vab Singhal

I have this certification path outline, if that helps in understanding.

I will try to get more information on this.

5 of 5 people found this helpful

Mark your feedback( Like or Helpful or Correct) as per the impact of my response.
          Cheers!
          Vab :)

Dave Smith

Gaurav Bajaj wrote:

Does anyone have access to partner portal to share the exam's blueprint?

Being a partner... don't you have access to the partner portal?

Kalaiarasan P

From these diagrams, I am going to give up on the thought of becoming certified.

This seems heavily in favor of partners.

Aakash Shah

Hello All,

First of all, thanks Gaurav for posting this question.

I just found a link regarding the certification FAQs which ,might be helful

ServiceNow Deliver Learning Paths and Certification FAQ.pdf - Box

I just want to know if anyone has any information regarding this.

I have booked myself a slot for Certified System Admin Certification (CSA) on 3rd October 2017.

I would like to know will this be based on the new pattern i.e the Jakarta.

Will this certification be expired as of December 2017 or will it last for 2 releases.

Can anyone also please share if there is any blue print of this exam available.

Kindly help me on this.

andy.ho ctomasi pradeepksharma

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Kindly let me know if this was helpful.

Please provide your feedback appropriately (Like, Helpful, Endorse AND/OR Correct) to help community.
                Thank you!

Regards,
                Aakash Shah

Aakash Shah

Chuck Tomasi can you provide any update on this?

Kindly let me know if this was helpful.

Please provide your feedback appropriately (Like, Helpful, Endorse AND/OR Correct) to help community.
                  Thank you!

Regards,
                  Aakash Shah

Lisa Kemes

I'm surprised that no one is balking at the fact that Certifications (CSA and CAD) are only good for 2 releases now (which is basically a year).  So if you get Certified in CSA or CAD when Jakarta came out, your certification expires the DAY that London is released. 

CSA/CAD certifications that were obtained prior to Istanbul (1/10/2017) will be expiring on Dec 31, 2017.

Are people constantly taking the certification exams to keep up to date with their certifications?

Chuck Tomasi

Hi Lisa,

I don't find this surprising at all. There's nothing really to rant about. Technology changes (fast). Your certifications should be kept up to date. It's a time sensitive demarkation that says "I knew this information well enough to pass the exam based on this date." Time has passed, new information is available, some information is obsolete, or worse - bad practice. Would you go to a doctor who cannot prove any way that he's had training since originally granted his license in 1980?

Over and over, I find myself learning new things that have been added the platform to make admin/dev tasks easier since I was originally trained in 2008. I got my Sys Admin cert in 2012. That was around Aspen. So much changes in each release that certs get old fast.

Have I learned a lot, you bet. Should I be able to pass the exam and prove it? It's up to you if you feel the cert is valuable enough, take the exam and get re-certified.

--Chuck Tomasi
                        --Sr. Technical Product Marketing Mgr, Now Platform
                        --Join me on the Community live stream (most) weekdays at 8:00AM ET
                        --https://youtube.com/user/servicenowcommunity

Lisa Kemes

So are you saying that the questions on the system administrator exam (for example) are going to change wildly from release to release?  If I remember some of the questions, a lot were about the basics of ServiceNow (reports, lists, tables, extended tables, what an SLA does, what's the difference between SLA  vs OLA, what are records, columns and rows, the difference between a client script and business rule, what are some variable types, what triggers an event, etc).

There were some release specific questions, like where is the global search field located (that could change from release to release), or if the gear icon is for personalization or global changes (that could change to another icon picture), but not many.

And if I need to keep up on my Certifications each year, then I'm assuming that the certification exam questions will be updated every release as well?  (they usually aren't).  Also, in my sys admin and implementation class it was suggested that I have xx amount of experience on the system before taking the exam.  How am I going to take an exam on London if it was just released and I don't have any experience on it yet?

It just seems like more $$ we have to shell out to make the appearance that we are current.  Yes,Aspen to Jarkarta is a BIG jump, but an exam taken in Jakarta to expire by London?  That just seems a bit much.

Chuck Tomasi

Hi Lisa,

While it's still too early to tell, I wouldn't expect the exam questions to change radically from release to release. Having a renewal program ensures the material is kept up to date and those choosing to retake it shouldn't have much of a challenge staying refreshed - kind of like a driver's test. Stop signs didn't change, but there's a new rule about right turns on red.

As for experience, it's always a good idea to have experience with the latest software before going in to a test. Does that mean you should wait 6 months after London comes out to take the test? That might be a bit extreme because by that time, the next release is out. I would think a week or two of studying and reviewing is sufficient - my opinion only.

As for the 2 release expiry - If you feel strongly about this, fire off an email to training@servicenow.com. I know the Education Services team always read it!

--Chuck Tomasi

Jeremy Duncan

Hey Chuck,

My comments are with all due respect (which I have a ton for you and Pradeep, so please take this for what it is...a concerned consumer and supporter of this tool). The focus of my argument is based on the cost-factor tied to this process, as well as the frequency of having to re-take an entire exam.

Take, for example, my industry standard InfoSec certification (GIAC GSEC). I took a week-long boot camp, studied for countless hours, and took a 5 hour exam and spent 4K of to get certified (including bootcamp costs). My cert lasts for 4 years, at which time I get to pony up and retest, OR...prove that I have CPEs (36 to be exact) to track a re-cert with a flat fee of $399. These CPEs are free to me and prove that I have stayed on top of industry standards. These CPEs are standardized and reviewed thoroughly before they are allowed in consideration of my recert.

Now, looking at this from a ServiceNow perspective. I'm an Architect with 7+ years of experience on this platform. I mustered up the nerve to take a certification exam (because I hate taking tests) to be able to prove that I know my stuff. I studied, I paid, I passed. Woohoo.....now I get to focus on the every six month major release hoping that it doesn't break my stuff while meeting my customer's (our customers') needs. The last thing I want on my plate is to have to pay, yet again, to prove I know what i'm talking about. This would be simply fixed with having a one time cost to take an exam and having follow-up continuous education to prove you're staying abreast of new features.

If i'm calling it like I see it, it seems like another revenue stream to me and not as much focused on making sure ServiceNow's biggest fans and supporters are truly trained and knowledgeable. I will take your advice and follow-up with the folks that are listening.

Best!

Jeremy

Jeremy Duncan
                                    Solutions Architect
                                    CIS | CSA

Chuck Tomasi

Hi Jeremy,

I hear you. I think the concern is that people believe they HAVE to stay up to date on their certs. That's not a requirement. It's a preference of how you manage your career. I say this as an IT professional with 35+ years experience and while it may not agree with my employer's opinion, I value experience over a certification. I've seen people with certifications in some technologies that ended up being very ineffective in the "real world" work place, as I'm sure many of you have also. I've also seen people with a few years of experience and no cert run circles around those with a cert. Having a cert may be a good way to get you in the door to say "Yes, I know this and I have proven it." but after a while, the experience of doing 15 implementations eclipses the fact that you are certified.

As a former manager, I look for experience on a resume/CV first and foremost. Renewing/updating your certs is a nice career move, and there's nothing wrong with it to say "yup, I still got it!" Is it THE most important thing - not in my personal opinion. If I were looking at two resumes that said "Certified ServiceNow System Administrator", I would have better information from this point going forward if one said "London" and another said "Calgary". Which new hire would you prefer -all other things being equal?

Am I concerned that my 2012 Sys Admin Cert is going to be obsolete in a few months? Not really. If I were to talk to another employer or partner, the majority of my resume speaks to my accomplishments and what I can do for that organization. If they said "You know, your CSA is out of date." I'd start having a different discussion with them.

--Chuck Tomasi

Lisa Kemes

I would definitely spend my money on something like a "booster" to my original certification like a webinar or a simulation test to show that I know all of the new stuff (to add onto my original cert).  But again, to take another sys admin test that 90% of it doesn't really change is not something I want to spend my time or money on.  I'm in agreement that a certificate should expire at some point (if you never took any "boosters") but to have them expire after 2 releases is shocking.  I hope that our company's partner status doesn't require us being up to date with the latest certifications at all times.  I'll ask my rep.  Thanks for the conversation! 

Dave Smith

Lisa Kemes wrote:

I would definitely spend my money on something like a "booster" to my original certification like a webinar or a simulation test to show that I know all of the new stuff (to add onto my original cert). 

That's actually a good idea.  I know some places do it - a "top-up" or "re-qualification" containing just delta changes.

Bhupesh Gupta

Absolutely agree with the your comments Chuck

With Regards

Bhupesh Gupta

Planned Leaves : 14th Oct – 22nd Oct 2017

Jeremy Duncan

Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. I see this as bigger than whether you're employable or not. With my 16 years of IT experience and 7 in ITSM and on the ServiceNow platform I haven't had an issue holding / obtaining a job. Bigger picture, I envision that this impacts more than just individuals in their career growth. This impacts partners who are keeping up with requirements to remain certain level of partnership and trickles down to Joe Employee who gets the pressure to "stay certified" simply as a measure of what? Like you eluded to in your last post, being certified doesn't trump experience.

I think that everyone in this line of conversation is making good hypothetical points like "you'll flounder if you're not up to the latest release", but if you put that into real-life where you're working on 6-12 month projects, doing a full stack replace on a large enterprise implementation of Remedy or "insert tool(s) here" on the latest release (Istanbul/Jakarta), finding time to catch up is merely a pipe dream.

This speaks more to the need for organizations, partners, etc to focus on training their staff (much bigger convo topic ) while chasing contracts and keeping folks freshly educated. Again, another hypothetical, because in business...contracts don't always wait on training .

I don't think there is a silver bullet for this topic, however, I think recertifying every year in each area is a bit much. Just my opinion.

Jeremy Duncan
                                                  Solutions Architect
                                                  CIS | CSA

Dave Smith

Lisa Kemes wrote:

So are you saying that the questions on the system administrator exam (for example) are going to change wildly from release to release?

No, they don't change wildly - just like there's no wild platform changes.  They do, however, change to reflect platform updates and remain in sync with current releases.

As I understand it, part of the reason of exam deprecation was to address issues where consultants were hired based on their certifications but their platform knowledge was several releases behind and they floundered when faced with newer (and unfamiliar) technology, unaware that emerging standards had deprecated previous approaches and their current method was no longer considered best practise.

Also, in my sys admin and implementation class it was suggested that I have xx amount of experience on the system before taking the exam.

That's correct - classes are taught to impart knowledge and improve capability, not to pass exams.  It is expected that people will gain basics from the course, then spend time building experience in the platform.  If there's a platform change in the meantime, then those dev instances will become available, and details of differences is made available via release notes and documentation.  Are you under the impression that you do the class then sit the exam without any other experience?

How am I going to take an exam on London if it was just released and I don't have any experience on it yet?

What's stopping you from gaining experience prior to the exam?  Are you under some time pressure to take it before you're ready?

If you re-read your questions, but substitute "doing consultancy/implementation/rollout" for "exam", your questions will read:

• Also, in my sys admin and implementation class it was suggested that I have xx amount of experience on the system before going out in the field
                                              • How am I going to do an implementation on London if it was just released and I don't have any experience on it yet?

Now, consider answers to that in respect to: what value do I deliver to my client base if I'm inexperienced when I'm out in the field?

Kunal Kumar

Hello All,

I am planning to take the CIS - HR exam in near future. Can anyone help me out with question pattern? Even some dumps for the questions to be asked will be also great.

Thanks in advance!!

Vab Singhal

This is now available on the Portal:

ServiceNow Training Paths | ServiceNow Training | ServiceNow

A new program designed to help customers and partners learn and improve the skills needed for a successful implementation.

The new Learning Paths and Certifications Program combines general information about ServiceNow fundamentals with more specific tracks.

Customers and partners can tailor the Learning Path that meets their specific needs, product interests, and role, including administrator, developer and implementation specialist.

Once a Learning Path is completed, customers and partners have the option to earn a ServiceNow Certification that demonstrates they’ve achieved the skills and knowledge needed for their role and specialization.

With this launch, ServiceNow will introduce a set of six new implementation certifications, including:

• Certified Implementation Specialist – IT Service Management
                                            • Certified Implementation Specialist – HR
                                            • Certified Implementation Specialist – Customer Service Management
                                            • Certified Implementation Specialist – Service Mapping
                                            • Certified Implementation Specialist – Financial Management
                                            • Certified Implementation Specialist – Vulnerability Response
                                            1 of 1 people found this helpful

Mark your feedback( Like or Helpful or Correct) as per the impact of my response.
                                            Cheers!
                                            Vab :)