12 Replies · Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 7:53 AM by Kristy Tupper

How do you generate a business case?

I was just in a Webinar on the future of PPM and they showed a lot of things on Demand Management that I've never seen (and we are running Jakarta).  One thing they showed was a business case generated automatically from a demand record.  In searching the documentation (docs.servicenow.com), I see nothing that refers to this - yet I asked the question and was told that everything they showed was OOB in Jakarta.  Where is the function to auto generate a business case?

• Re: How do you generate a business case?
          Sean Witt

Hi Kristy.

I looked at a Jakarta Personal Development Instance which was OOB (other than activating the Project Portfolio Suite with Financials plugin). In that environment, I see a "Business case" field on the Assessment Data form section for the demand.

If I enter text there, work the demand through the state flow, and create a project from the demand, the system is automatically copying the business case entry from the demand to the new project. But the business case field isn't displayed OOB on the project form. So to make it visible, you would need to configure the project form to display it. But the database column is existing and OOB, so as soon as you pull it onto the form, you should have what you want.

The images below show the OOB placement on the demand form, and the data where it lands in the project record (from the list view since I don't have the field on the form). So I would agree with your assessment that if the person driving your demo was showing business case on the project form, then they weren't showing a 100% OOB form.But it wouldn't take much work to get it on the form since the database column is already there... 

Sean

Kristy Tupper

Thanks so much, Sean.  We actually have that field on the Demand itself - what they showed in the demo was auto generation of a business case report-type document (not a report, but something you might use, say, for the first stage gate to get a project initially approved).  It was laid out similar to the portfolio status that you can auto generate, and it included all the demand fields (ROI, expenses, resources, justification, etc.).  It was billed as "right now, people cut and paste this info into a PPT, but now you can just generate it from ServiceNow."  Have you heard of that?

Sean Witt

No problem Kristy...

We had someone from ServiceNow Professional Services do a presentation earlier this year (maybe at a User Group meeting?) that sounds similar to what you are describing, but this guy was clear that what he was showing was NOT OOB functionality.

I'll look back at my notes and ask around a little bit, and will let you know if I find anything. But if I am remembering the same feature that you are describing, it wasn't OOB at that time (the demo I saw was in Istanbul). 

Sean

Sean Witt

Thanks for sending these details Kristy...unfortunately it won't let me access the URL without a login/credentials, so I can't watch to see exactly what you saw and heard. But based on the screenshots you shared, to me this looks like a custom report/page that has been created in the Service Portal.

I may be wrong or missing something, but I really do not think that this page is OOB in Jakarta. Looking at a clean Personal Developer Instance for Jakarta, I don't see any new Service Portals or pages that look like this Business Case Portal. There are PPM related Service Portals for PPS Workbench, Project Status, Worker Portal, etc. that have been available for awhile, but I at least can't find anything like the Business Case Portal.

And I don't see anything in the Jakarta Release notes or the ServiceNow documentation site announcing this as new functionality for PPM or Service Portal; SN does a good job of advertising new stuff like this, so I'm thinking if this is now OOB we would find some details in the release notes.

From the screenshots, the data on the Business Case Portal looks similar to what has been available for several releases as the Demand Workbench. It covers many of the same data points, scoring demands based on risk, size and value. But the output/user interface is different, it drops the demands onto a grid so that you can compare scores side by side based on the results from  demand assessments.

So you could take and build a Service Portal page similar to this Business Case Portal, but I don't think it is part of the current OOB offering. So if ServiceNow or a SN partner firm moderated the webinar for you, their technical team might be able to share update sets or XML for this page. Sorry I can't be of more help on this, but I have checked everywhere that I can think of and am not seeing this within the OOB offering.

Sean

Sean Witt

Quick question for simon.grice

Richard Hawes shared a webinar with me that Kristy and I had been discussing in this thread. You were presenting an overview of some of the ITBM functionality. One of the things you shared was a UI action/form button for "Business Case" on the demand form. Clicking the button displayed the Business Case report with many of the fields populated from the demand.

I don't see that button or report yet in OOB Jakarta or Kingston instances with the PPS plugin activated. Do you know if there are other plugins that need to be activated to get this functionality? Or is this something that is not OOB yet?

Sean