6 Replies · Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 6:48 AM by Ben Sweetser

How to link software to a non-discoverable asset

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me...

We have a number of laptops that are non-discoverable and will need to be entered into our CMDb manually however I need to be able to associate software to these devices so that the installations are detected by the software counters.

Has anyone had abny success in doing this?

• Re: How to link software to a non-discoverable asset
          Sree Subramaniam

You can use "Scripts Background"

In the below example, you need to pass the sys ID of computer CI "b4fd7c8437201000deeabfc8bcbe5dc1" and create records with  publisher, version, display_name to cmdb_sam_sw_install with installed_on related to customer CI sys ID.

var gr = new GlideRecord("cmdb");

gr.get("b4fd7c8437201000deeabfc8bcbe5dc1"); //ANNIE_IBM

var s1 = gr.getValue("assigned_to");

gs.log(s1);

var grInstall = new GlideRecord("cmdb_sam_sw_install");

grInstall.initialize();

grInstall.setValue("publisher", "VMware");

grInstall.setValue("version", "6.0.0.16571");

grInstall.setValue("display_name", "VMware vCenter Server");

grInstall.setValue("installed_on", "b4fd7c8437201000deeabfc8bcbe5dc1");

grInstall.setValue("assigned_to", s1);

var installSysId = grInstall.insert();

gs.log(installSysId);

Carrie Lewis

Hi Sree,

Thank you for your reply.

As someone who is not well versed in coding/scripting, would I need to run this script for each application in turn or could I repeat the appropriate section of code for each piece of software that I would want to map across to the computer?

Apologies if the answer is obvious!

Cheers,

C

Ben Sweetser

While Sree's approach will work, it is problematic for a couple reasons:

• It can be convoluted to create a script to do this for every software installation on a device.
                  • It is working with Sys IDs for the CIs, which means you'd have to hunt down the Sys ID for every CI.
                  • A fix script would be better than background scripts, as they are reusable.
                  • An excel sheet to import data is probably the most expedient way to import.

I need to review your answers to get you more details on those...

Ben

--------------------
                  Ben Sweetser, Principal Business Process Consultant
                  ServiceNow

Ben Sweetser

Hi Carrie,

There are a couple of ways to address this. I have some follow up questions here to help make some determinations:

Are you planning to create CI records for the non-discoverable computers? Why are these computers non-discoverable (network? discovery timing? other?)? Is there some source (such as a software deployment tool or virus protection) that could be used to create the CI records for you in an automated fashion?

How do you plan to capture/identify that the software is installed to these devices?

What version of ServiceNow/Software Asset Management are you using?

Thanks,

Ben

1 of 1 people found this helpful

--------------------
                ServiceNow

Carrie Lewis

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your reply...I'll try to answer as many of your follow up questions as possible:

Are you planning to create CI records for the non-discoverable computers?

Yes, we will be importing all of our non-discoverable CI's using the CSV import templates.

Why are these computers non-discoverable (network? discovery timing? other?)?

There are a couple of different reasons for the devices being non-doscoverable - mainly due to them either never connecting to our network or not having a fixed IP address/range so would regularly drop off of discovery.

Is there some source (such as a software deployment tool or virus protection) that could be used to create the CI records for you in an automated fashion?

Yes and no. We currently use Munki Web Admin for our Mac's (these are the devices that don't have a fixed IP address/range) which allows me to see the list of software installed and I'm in the process of seeing if we have the internal resource to be able to look into integrating with the API however in the meantime, I would like to map the software over manually.

For the devices that never connect to our network, we don't have any discovery tools installed on them.

How do you plan to capture/identify that the software is installed to these devices?

I plan to use the information provided by Munk Web Admin to initially map the software. Moving forward, I plan to map the software at the point that it is requested to be installed - our Mac users do not have local admin rights to are reliant on IT Support to install the software on their behalf.

For the non-doscoverable devices, each are issued with a standard base image of applications which I can map manually to ensure they are captured in the software counters.

What version of ServiceNow/Software Asset Management are you using?

We are in the process of implementing Jakarta however we have not purchased the SAM Optimization module and this is not something that we could purchase and implement within the timescales for making ServiceNow live within our Organisation (deadline is end of February 2018).

Cheers,

C

Ben Sweetser

Hi Carrie,

Sorry for the delay in responding here. It sounds like you have an approach. What it comes down to is ensuring you have the CIs in the environment first. Then when you import the Software Installations, you need to make sure the name for installed_on matches the CI record.

The mapping of software upon request is great to allocate the software to a device or user, but it is not a true replacement for a discovery source to show that software is truly installed to a system.

Ben

--------------------
                        ServiceNow