1 Reply · Latest reply on Dec 6, 2017 11:10 AM by Sean Witt

I'm looking for a SN technical solution that is an alternative to Sharepoint.  Is there a great UX related to document management with links to Project, Program, and Portfolio (jakarta or kingston).  Thoughts?

Is there a great UX related to Document Management with links to Project, Program, and Portfolio (jakarta or kingston)?   Or maybe SN to Sharepoint integration?

Thoughts?

Mark

• Re: I'm looking for a SN technical solution that is an alternative to Sharepoint.  Is there a great UX related to document management with links to Project, Program, and Portfolio (jakarta or kingston).  Thoughts?
          Sean Witt

Hi Mark.

Most companies I have worked with that are looking for document management inside of ServiceNow take one of two paths: 

1. Managed Documents (on the docs site, see Managed Documents )

2. Knowledge Management (see Knowledge Management )

Managed Documents lets you do things like check documents in and out, do version control, etc. so it is probably closer to being a potential SharePoint replacement. If you don't care as much about the versioning piece, the Knowledge base is a great option for an easily searchable repository. Both tools are include as part of the base ServiceNow platform offering, so you don't have to buy or pay more to use them.

It is also easy to integrate Knowledge into other record types (incidents, projects, project tasks). You can see examples of this on the Out of Box (OOB) incident form, where checking the box for Knowledge will generate a draft KB article at incident resolution. The OOB Problem form includes links to "Post Knowledge" or "Post News" that gets housed in the Knowledge base. You can also easily configure related lists to pull a list of related KB articles onto forms like incident, project, etc. So with minimal configuration, you can create relationships between different record types to expose the articles to your audience.

Sean